Current Uniti Range and Vinyl

As I mentioned recently, my old Uniti mk 1 has a CD drive problem. This unit is now getting on for 13 years old and is coming to the limits of how well it can cope with modern streaming and, as @Richard.Dane pointed out, there are supply problems with getting replacement parts. When the new Hi-res FLAC from Tidal become available, I worry that this device won’t be able to handle it. That said, it handles HLS streams extremely well as it had both the factory upgrade and a replacement display. I now play CDs through my Cambridge Audio UDP via the optical link, with the Uniti doing the decoding, with excellent results and I am satisfied with that workaround, for now.

So, I have considered replacing the old Uniti with one of the latest incarnations of the Uniti but there is a fly in the ointment: the old Uniti powers my Stageline N and the new Unitis don’t have a MM input.

What would I need to do to overcome this?

You could get a second hand hi-cap to power the Stageline N.
When I used my Star with my LP12 I used a Rega Fono power supply, I would have gone for the Aria but I wasn’t sure how much I would use the TT. Looking back I think the Aria would have been a better choice.

1 Like

Is stretching to the New Classic NSC 222 and NAP 250 too much. The NSC 222 includes a MM stage so the box count would be the same. Of course this is a more costly option which may be prohibitive.

You could get a newer Uniti, but for vinyl an integrated amp might be a more suitable choice. A Nait XS3 or Supernait 3 both have a decent MM phono board built in, or you could use them to power your Stageline. Earlier versions of these amps hand no built in phono stage, but they could power a Stageline.
For streaming, you could just use your Uniti for now as it has a line out that would connect it to the amp. Maybe add a separate streamer at some point.

1 Like

There are plenty of good self powered phono stages around, which are better than a Stageline.

2 Likes

I did look at that option, but it’s eye-wateringly expensive. I already have a NAP250DR which I really love, but even so! At least with the Uniti I can trade the 250DR in to set against the cost of the new one.

I’m using my Uniti Atom with a Rega P3 and Rega MM phono. Works really well.

Another option is the very flexible and great value Dynavector P75. Sell the stageline to fund.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.