Daft Question Time - Active Speakers/System

And as a consequence the amps are directly connected to the voice coils without, especially in the case of the all-important-to-grip bass driver, an inductor or other circuitry in between, so maximising the “damping factor”.

Regarding active crossover functioning, a passive XO uses inductors and capacitors, while analogue AXOs use resistor-capacitor networks, while digital AXOs use DSP.

Digital AXOs usually allow easy selection/adjustment of crossover frequencies, cutoff slope and characteristic (e.g. 6,12,18 or 24dB/8ve, Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley etc), and sometimes additional user-selectable DSP. Some analogue AXOs allow frequency selection, either switchable between a few presets, or using plug-in resistor networks. Both types allow setting of relative level for each driver, and phase (time delay), or should!

Crossover frequencies and slopes are usually set to match those chosen by the speaker manufacturer for passive versions, while a measuring microphone and software like REW (invaluable), make levels and phase easy to set up, and facilitates other DSP, or playing with XO frequencies and slopes.

1 Like

Hi Roger

In the Selekt, the Exact technology is acting as the external crossover and splitting the signal in the pre-amp section.

DG…

1 Like

Thanks IB. Inserting a passive crossover between the power amps and the speaker does reduce the overall damping factor of the speaker/amplifier system when compared to connecting the power amps directly to the driver. However, there are several technical articles (which I will reference if I ever find them again) which show that the effect of a passive crossover on the effective damping factor is quite small if the power amps have a high damping factor to start with. This might have been an issue 40 years ago but most modern, well designed, power amps now have much higher damping factors than previously.

Full disclosure: I have a pair of passive SCM40s driven by Naim monoblocks. But I also recognize that a pair of active ATCs with a NSC222 sounds really good and is a much more cost effective way to get great performance.

1 Like

Auditions are in the pipeline.

At the moment I am trying to get my head round the technology and terminology, otherwise I end up buying stuff I don’t need and miss out on stuff I do want as I don’t understand the language and patter used in the stores.

Learning lots thanks to all the replies.

Very understandable. Work with one or more good dealers…they won’t be talking a foreign language and certainly not patter, imhe.
Start with the type of music you like, which I mentioned on another of your threads and which iirc hasn’t been described. The minutiae will fall into place as you audition different systems. There are lost of system choices out there, but the best is to build a rapport with those dealers you choose. The good ones do have vast experience, but the very best also value feed back from established clients, so they have a genuine awareness for advising their clients, new or existing.
Good luck.

1 Like

Yes, the Exact technology in the pre-amp acts as the external crossover which splits the treble and bass to the two power amp cartridges.

There are three amps in my Selekt;

• Pre-amp is part of the main board which includes the Exact technology (fixed)
  • Two Stereo Out Power Amp Cartridges (variable)

Similar to the Naim format of NAC 282 (pre amp) to SNAXO 242 (external crossover) to two NAP 250 (power amp) [one for the treble and one for the bass].

This is from my system set up showing the connections.

And this is from the Kudos website showing the connections.

Hope this helps.

DG…

2 Likes

Mmm
That’s Bi Amp not Aktiv
Or Wonky activ
Exakt and all the other system software Space Optimisation etc isn’t a crossover.
I used to run my MK2 Kans like that for a while with two LK280s = four channels one for each drive unit. :thinking:

This is from LinnDocs showing that the Exact Engine is working as a Crossover.

DG…

1 Like

I ran my Selekt DSM this way in the past using multiple power amp modules, looks like you’ve covered all the obvious background info already!

Thanks for trying to explain but unless the frequencies are split and unique to that range of the drive unit the same as a separate Aktiv crossover works.
I’d be very interested to try the treble wires into the bass unit and see if it’s frequency generated or not.
I get all the processing before the power amps but unless the power amps are split to the different drive units frequency range then I’m not convinced with the terminology.
Maybe I’m having a Father Ted morning. :scream: :zipper_mouth_face:

I think you are. Logic says it has to be working as DG says. To connect two amplifiers to the Kudos 606, the metal links on the back have to be removed. If standard biamp was connected, both bass and treble drivers would receive full range signal and the tweeters would instantly fry.

Nothing fried with people bi amping they still get full range.
That’s what I’m trying yo ask are the outputs frequency dependant or not.
All bi amp systems are full range it’s only cut down by electronic crossover that isn’t.

I know, but in passive biamp you still use the passive crossover. By removing the links on the back of a Kudos 606 you bypass the crossover. Connecting biamp will fry the tweeters, therefore the Linn must be splitting the frequencies. Anyway, I’m not sure why we are even discussing this; if Linn says it’s active, Kudos says it’s active, Cymbiosis installed it as active, it’s clearly active.

Thanks everyone for chipping in, learning lots which is a great help understanding how systems get put together.

I only asked if the amp split the frequencies.
Removing the links is the same as removing plates it’s only access to that part of the passive crossover.
Unles the frequencies are split to match the drivers then it isn’t Aktiv it’s wonky Aktiv
And if the passive crossovers in the cabinet aren’t disconnected completely it still isn’t Aktiv
Simple. :+1:t2:
Just because someone calls something a name doesn’t mean it’s right.

Stay away from Naim Active systems if your goal is to avoid multiple boxes, cables, and interconnects. Addictive sound but much more complex set up. Naim speakers were designed for active and passive use back in the day…

2 Likes

Been there and done it all multi boxes and got rid and went minimised.

1 Like

This is what the Kudos website says.

There are two things to note, which support what I wrote above and which for some reason you choose not to believe. 1. Removing the links bypasses the crossover. It’s not like removing biwire links on a standard biwirable speaker. 2. Exakt can enable active operation.

Thanks for taking the effort with the info but still seems a fudge to what is properly Aktive not just multi amp split.
All I wanted to know was did the amps put out in different split frequencies.
I thought that was a simple question but it’s replied like politics.
I’ve had passive and multi amp and active “ real “ but this seems like a collection of gobbledygook avoiding the real question and renaming something for the sake of sounding technically superior.
I’d love to hear the treble outputs connected to the bass with the bass leads removed. :wink:

Oh and Exakt isn’t a crossover it’s a speed matching software technology not frequency splitting.

I think a key question regarding the Linn Approach is whether you can separately adjust levels and phase (timing) of bass/treble, and if relevant mid, power amp modules relative to each other, and crossover frequency(ies) and filter slope(s). Or does the Linn SO definitely do all that when particular speakers are selected in its list, having that info already in its memory bank? (I ask because last time I looked at their SO, a few years ago, it appeared to just tailor frequency response to get the best out of different speakers.)