Damage During Service

Items returned to Naim through a dealer go via Naim’s preferred courier service whoever that may be.
Sadly you can’t send to Naim directly.

Presumably it’s the same amp? Do you have the serial number noted?

I know, but surely the dealer sent it insured

It doesn’t matter whether they did or didn’t, the dealer and Naim are responsible as you have passed your kit to them as set out by Naim’s RMA process.
It will be up to the dealer to ensure that it is adequately packed and the required forms filled out. If it has been damaged in transit then Naim are responsible.

I don’t know if conditions always automatically the same. Certainly when I sent my Naim units to servicing, it was always insured on behalf of the dealer. But those were more or less replaceable units, not a historic one that necessarily raises questions of what the appropriate value is.

But that’s why I said that surely the OP had shipping insurance, whatever the finer details are.

The OP didn’t send it, AudioT did and most likely charged the customer for this service so the responsibility is not theirs but the Dealer/Naim.

I’ve been through this process with my nDAC, it goes from the dealer to Naim and back again. I then had to collect it or pay again to have it sent from the dealer to my home.

Oh my god, dunno why all the nitpicking. So the OP surely made sure that Audio T sent it insured!!!
My point is, if it was packed without damage (and photo evidence) and Naim confirms that it had body damage when they unpacked it, surely the fault is with the shipping company and hopefully covered by their insurance. And then, yes, it should be the dealer’s responsibility to sort it out. Unless, of course, if the dealer advised that different rules apply for gear that is that old - like they told me that sending a CDS3 is always risky as it can’t be replaced. This should not be hard

2 Likes

I’m not nitpicking. :roll_eyes:
It isn’t the OPs job to run AudioT’s business.

I’m just trying to ensure that the OP gets sorted out in a proper fashion.

Sure, that’s right. But it is his responsibility to ensure that the conditions are what he believes and needs. I was just stating that the between the dealer and the OP it was surely assured that the shipping had the sufficient and desired insurance coverage - as it seemed to me that this has been kind of forgotten/overlooked in the discussion previously

I give up :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you :man_shrugging:

Thank you all, some really useful points made.

Consumer law says that it is the responsibility of the retailer, and Audio T have been open to discussion. They organised the courier as far as I am aware, and I believe it is not my responsibility as soon as it is left with them, unless told otherwise.

The amp was well packaged in Naim packaging plus extra, the box was not damaged. Due to there being paint chips as well as the ding I don’t believe it was done in transit.

I hope this will just make people think carefully about sending their much loved equipment away.

I understand what your saying, but if our much loved gear doesn’t work properly, there really isn’t much choice but to send it somewhere…be it Naim or elsewhere. Speaking for myself, I only “love” it when it is in proper working order; otherwise, it is a source of angst.

That said, I sincerely hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction. It’s the usual thing I see anymore in almost everything - everyone pointing a finger at someone else. Who did it? “Not me.”

1 Like

When I send my old NAP140 and HC to WH, both came back with a little more hum. When I later brought a NAC82/NAP250, I physically took it to Class A, then collected it later, to be on the safe side. Unfortunately this isn’t an option for everyone, or an option to drop of at Naim I suspect.

Reading this, does remind us to at least take some photo before sending anything off of value.

2 Likes

I think this was my point, I thought I was sending it away to be made right.
However, it came back from Naim with a loud hum and with a dent and paint chips. So not better or sorted in any way to my ears or eyes.

And I agree with you: my point is that when the gear runs amok, we are left with no choice but to ship it. I was not casting aspersions at you at all, merely pointing when it comes to sending our gear away because it needs service, thinking carefully (beyond photographing, proper packing, and the always shaky shipper insurance) isn’t an option - it has to be sent…I have nothing I can think about. It either goes or I continue to use equipment that isn’t functioning correctly.

What happened (or more correctly, is still happening) to you sucks, and I hate it for you, because you did nothing wrong and everything right and are being penalized. An all too common scenario in this day and age.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this Faux75. Not easy to find exec condition casework for the old bolt down amps and I understand your frustration. It’s a shame no one has owned up to the damage as I think that would help you accept what’s happened.

1 Like

Reading this forum, it seems that some owners are having problems with equipment being sent to Naim. I have never sent anything to Naim and have used Class A. Never been a problem.

I would be gutted if having spent extra for Naim to service that it came back like that. Saying they can’t do anything and refunding you is not what you want. Between Audio T and Naim they should be offering new casework sourced from used stock as necessary.

They can make it happen. They need to go the extra mile to make it happen.

If it’s the courier at fault then it can still be resolved. You can buy old casework and have it refitted surely.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the damage to your amp. I have never owned or physically seen any older Naim gear, but is that damaged panel an aluminum piece? If it is, a machinist like myself could easily repair it, just a dab of weld on the corner, and some careful reshaping of the corner. If it is die cast however, it would be a little harder to repair.
Hope it all gets fixed up for you.

I’ve never seen a bolt together box in person, but the silver edge just looks like the mill finish edge of the aluminium plate that was used
I think the chrome bumper stuff is the same, the silver is the natural cut face of the aluminium extrusion. If this is the case, then the damaged face could be carefully filed back to flat with care not to touch the black powdercoat and I think it could look alot better than a fresh dent.
Also a fine cut file and then maybe sandpaper in the direction of the brush marks. Dont take this as gospel, but I’m sure someone with a bit of knowledge could make it barely noticable.