Danny Bakers record collection for sale

Those in the UK will probably be aware of Danny Baker the radio presenter and music journalist. His legendary record collection and memorabilia is about to be auctioned off in June 4th & 5th. Those with deep pockets might be interested. Rare vinyl, signed box sets and lots of music ephemera.

1 Like

The auction’s up on Twitter now. Signed copies seems to be the big attraction. I have the vinyl version of this bought new on release, for example

Baker’s selling the CD equivalent, signed by the band members, guide price £1,000 to £2,000! I’ve never understood autographs. I understand them even less now. What do you do with them? Impress like minded collectors I guess!

One of those rare radio presenters that actually knew his music.

7 Likes

Sorry for my curiosity but I have seen your old post about a FREE (English Rock Band internationally famous for their hit “All Right Now” of 1970) show you attend in Manchester. If I am not wrong your words were about a gig planned but cancelled and later rescheduled in a more intimate place. Perhaps you refers to a Manchester gig planned 18 September 1972 in Manchester Free Trade Hall that was cancelled. FREE played other shows in October 1972 such 6 Lancaster University Great Hall but no in Manchester. Anyway Paul Kossoff health was bad due to drug abuse in 1972 but his death has been 19 March 1976. Well if you have furhter memories of FREE show you attend in 1972 please let me know ! Any kind of recollection is welcome !!! Also if you saved vintage memorabilia ! Thanks again !

Hello
The initial show was at Manchester University. Aged 17 and still at school I was able to get a student union card. Sadly it was cancelled .
I really don’t remember the initmate gig venue location, other than it was in the Manchester area as at that age I didn’t have the resources to travel far. That’s as much as I remember I’m afraid.

Thanks for your reply !
I know FREE the following shows in Manchester:

• 10 May 1969 Manchester - Institute Of Science And Technology
  • October 1969 Manchester - College Of Commerce (exact date unknown so far)
  • 7 February 1970 Manchester - Owen’s Union Dance
  • June 1970 DOING THEIR THING TV Show was recorded in Manchester - Granada TV Studio (broadcast later 24 July 1970 - anyway exact gig of the recording is still unknown so far)
  • 10 October 1970 Manchester - University Union Hall
  • 5 February 1972 Manchester - University Union Hall (perhaps this show was cancelled ??? As your memory is about a Manchester University gig in 1972 this is the only one I know planned in Manchester University in 1972)
    Also I know FREE played in early October 1972 the following gigs:
  1. Durham - Dunelm House
  2. Bradford - University
  3. Lancaster - University Great Hall
  4. Sheffield - University
  5. Hanley - Victoria Hall
    I would say perhaps you saw Lancaster gig (seems the nearest location by Manchester area)
    Any other memory will be always appreciate ! Thanks again !