Darko on Talking Heads ‘Stop Making Sense’

There is an interesting article on John Darko’s web-site, hinted in one of his last YouTube videos

The article gets into the DR levels of current vs past recordings.
The examples given relate to the ‘23 reissue/remastered version of Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.
In that the original CD based recording has a higher (better) DR, than the ‘99 reissue and today’s remaster in 24/44.1

So to get into the mix, just played 1st side of the 2LP ‘Deluxe’ remaster, which I also have as 24/44.1 FLAC and John is right, detailed but just lacking.
So I have pulled out my ‘99 EMI 180g reissue (Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense (1999, 180g, Vinyl) - Discogs) and bosh, the life, energy of the recording is there.
I also have the ‘84 EMI pressing, but the ‘99 reissue is normally my go-to for this recording.

Anyone else played the 2LP reissue yet?

Darko also goes to state that an extract of the Blu-ray in 24/48 provides the best streamed version, so will have to go find this. Will report back on progress and how this sounds.

1 Like

Many remastered recordings sound awful, and probably not only because of the loudness wars.

Sultans of Swing is a prime example. I prefer the album version on Qobuz to CD. In contrast, the 24bit remastered version is utter garbage and unlistenable. OTOH, the remastered version of Lou Reed’s New York is significantly better than the original (again Qobuz).

I normally stay away from the reissues on Vinyl, as I either have the original pressing or an ‘Audiophile’ version collected before the Vinyl Revival & the price hikes :grin:
I do look for 24-bit versions however, but if significantly different often keep the original CD or SACD versions as well.

Given the praise this reissue/mastering has got on the Naim Forum, perhaps people just like high DR and compression here, lol. Ironic!

See also the “Originals vs. Remasters” thread, which among other things, links the Darko article.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.