Dbl refurbishing LF cabinet acoustic foam

IIRC, ATC offer a re-foaming service for the bass drivers. Last time I checked the cost was quite reasonable, so worth getting in touch with them.

Sorry to contradict … I have checked with ATC Just recently they don’t do refoaming of the cabinets
What is IIRC…?

Hi Charlie,
If I Recall Correctly (IIRC).
Richard may have ben referring to re-foaming of the bass driver surrounds, rather than re-foaming of cabinets.

Best regards, BF

Charlie, thank you for posting those specs and drawings, I was going to ask you for them. I’m not touching mine yet, but im sure I’ll have to eventually, so thank you again. So tell me, were the driver foam surrounds visibly disintegrating, or were just curious about the internal foam?
Regards, Mario.

Yes, I mean the bass drivers - i.e. the surrounds. ATC make the drivers. A shame if they’ve stopped offering re-foaming for them though.

1 Like

Richard, Im sure Charlie means they still do the driver surrounds - happily, but its the foam inside the bass box that they do not refurbish. But that was never in their offering as far as I know.
Mario.

Of course - ATC only supplied Naim with the driver and would not have anything to do with the foam in the bass box.

1 Like

Ok … I was confused by the wording „refoaming“. What ATC is offering is reconing of the bass divers. The foams of the bass cabinets and also from the other cabinets are not part of their service …

Exactly Charlie.

Mario
On the picture showing the driver just dismantled you can see that the foam lip holding the membrane has broken in most part or it’s circumference. The material has become very fragile and broke apart just by looking at it. (The second driver did not brake upon dismantling but I assume the material is as compromised as with the first one) both drivers are now on their way to ATC for reconing. The foaming inside the cabinets you can see are turning to dust …

1 Like

when I got my DBL woofers reconed back in 2016, I paid approx. £350

1 Like

Replacing surround on my two DBL bass drivers was £345 +vat in May 2017. That included shipping to me but not the boxes which were about another £40 +vat.

At the time the foam in the bass cabinets wasn’t showing any signs of degradation.

Willy.

1 Like

Hi Charlie
I cant remember how old my DBLs are, but will check when I move them out and dismantle them.
I am awaiting a response from ATC who I contacted today.

Photo of the foam in one of the bass boxes of my 1994 vintage DBLs. As I said earlier no sign of any degradation.

Regards,

Willy.

2 Likes

A bit off-topic, but can someone explain to me the best way to dismantle the bass box i.e. the best way to detach the silicone seal, without damaging the box?

1 Like

I use some wedge shaped wooden blocks and gently push them underneath
Can send some pics later :+1:

much appreciated Charlie

Stefano
That’s my way doing it
If you apply some detergent prior to silicone the seal comes of very easily :wink:

Thanks Charlie!
and wonderful veneer :slightly_smiling_face:

Some more foam remains from the pillars of the bass cabinet feels like the scrolls from the Dead Sea

1 Like