dBpoweramp garbling first track of rip

With any drive or the SuperDrive specifically? It certainly used to with other drives a few years ago.

I’m not on the latest release of macOS but I’ll test later with a Samsung external laterl.

Alley_Cat
Just wondering, if you bring up AboutThis Mac from the Apple icon top left and generate a system report, does it show any info regarding the drive type in the Superdrive in the USB section?

It reports accurate rip if its in the database, but won’t upload data.

Just about to go and check for replies from MrSpoon.

My LG drive IS in the list of drives, but that rips using that drive are still suffering from the same problem. I debate deleting dBpoweramp and reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

Have you ever used XLD ? That used to support AccurateRip. Again, not used it for a while.

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Did System Report descrive the type of drive in the SuperDrive?

The other option would be to try DiskUtility.

I did try it a long time ago. Not particularly bothered about having Secure Rips although it would be nice.

Just hooked up the LG drive now and have looked in System Report. This is what it says :

Firmware Revision  

Apple Superdrive 2.00 USB Generic etc
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GE24NU21 ON00 USB

I haven’t transcribed all the details, but it shows the 2 DVD drives. The second one being my old LG drive.
If I insert a CD into either drive to Rip, then the display says which drive I have chosen, with the Name Description as above.

As I’ve said before, both drives displayed on my old 2013 iMac when using CD Ripper, and both worked.

I’ve just now tried re-ripping a couple of the discs which were giving me problems, but with different metadata so hopefully the program will think they’re different discs.
Apple Drive - still wanting to re-read every segment on the first track
LG drive - now working perfectly. So, I suppose the problem now is only with the Apple drive, so it
looks like I’ll have to go out an and buy a new Superdrive sized DVD drive (I’ll look at the Samsung mentioned earlier in the thread) I could just use the LG drive, but it takes up too much space on my desktop. The log report (using the LG) shows the offset used, so its obviously recognised the drive.

As and aside, my last reply from Mr.Spoon suggested that I start Windows in Safe mode and try from there. I’ve just replied that I’m actually using MacOS Ventura!

Don’t know why the LG is now performing satisfactorily. One of life’s many mysteries.

Bye!

1 Like

Just checked the Database on accuraterip.com. I can’t see Nolyth drives anywhere on it. What does CD Ripper call the drive when you do a rip? What version of MacOS are you running? I don’t want to finish up with another drive that is not satisfactory. Either way I won’t be ordering one today, as it would probably arrive when I’m out on Grandad’s Taxi duty, so any order would have to wait until tomorrow morning.

I don’t know if this helps!

The Mac is using Ventura 13.2.1.

Thanks. It means that I can look it up in the AccurateRip database. Just checked now and it’s in their. I’m now debating either this one or a Hitachi LG one (both on Amazon). The Hitachi has better reviews, BTW.

Only one has the HH seal of approval.

there definitely does seem to be a problem with the apple drive and some CD’s. I rip CD’s (when i get them) on my Naim Core and also on a mac mini to put it into itunes. About 1 in 20 cd’s will fail on the mac mini on ripping the first track of the cd although ripped fine on the Core and physically look fine.

If i replace the apple drive with a fairly generic external HP USB DVD drive that i also have, then itunes will rip ok those CD’s that previously failed.

That’s exactly why I kept my old LG drive, though my experience was about 1 in 40-50 discs.

Well, my new Hitachi LG drive arrived. I did consider the one recommended by Mr. Halibut (thanks), but this one had fewer adverse reviews. Working perfectly. Problem solved.

as an aside - all these electronic thingies have a failure rate - not all new hard drives work etc, so I’ll keep the packaging for the new drive just in case it goes t*ts up.

1 Like

Excellent, I’m pleased you got one that works. When I bought my Nolyth it seemed to get the best reviews. It’s odd that some drives will rip fine and some won’t, there must be some logic in there somewhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.