dCS Bartok as a one box solution

Fwiw, over the last fourteen years for Naim NAC’s/Power supplies we’ve preferred to only use 4 pin din > RCA/XLR configuration which we’ve successfully used with ATC’s SCM19ASL’s, SCM20ASL’s, SCM40ASL’s, SCM50ASL’s, SCM100ASL Professional monitors, SCM150ASL Professional monitors, AE AE1A’s, Kii 3’s, D&D 8c’s and JL Audio’s Dominion, E Series, Fathom v2 and Gotham v2 subwoofers.

Be in no doubt that this configuration works a treat. Plain and simple :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Look, it’s probably just all in my head, but I had some doubts about mixing DIN>XLR and finding the right spec. cables that can do that job. Because NAIM do not supply them in that configuration, I had to source them from a different supplier.

From what people have said in the past, the cables have to be pretty specific spec. wise - especially if they are of a long length. Mine are 4 m long and that was what I was uncomfortable with. It works now, but can it work better if I have a true XLR from source/preamp to XLR in the
ATC Active ?

Not sure, Rick says no problem , so it may well all be in my head !

And to end my thoughts on an all in one DAC.

Just ordered the MSB Premier DAC, no upgraded anything, just in standard form.

Will share my thoughts when I get it, in approx. 4 weeks.

I got a really, really good deal on one, one of those too good to pass up deals.

My love affair with all things Naim has come to an end (well almost, I’ll be keeping my HDX).

Congratulations! Did you go for 1 power supply, 2 power supplies or the Powerbase?
My dealer recommended 2 of the basic power supplies to do it justice.

The Powerbase and/or upgraded clock can come later if there is the desire…

Best regards, BF

BF, even though I got a great deal, I just couldn’t stretch it to the extra Discrete power supply.

Just got this in before the world went into meltdown.

Burning in now, half way there at 50 hours, MSB recommend are least 100 hours run in.

6 Likes

Piece of jewelry ! And first impressions ? What was your source, pre , before ?

So this MSB Premier DAC replaced a NDS/555PSDR and 252/SC2DR & SL DIN cable.

It it connected direct to my ATC40A active speakers via Mogami Gold XLR cables. Source is Naim HDX 2TB digital out via a Analysis Plus Digital Crystal cable BNC to RCA and serving iRadio via home router to a Cisco Switch.

First impressions are:

Build quality easily matches Naim. Beautiful fit and finish to the casework for example.

Not a hint of glare or harshness at all right from the start.

Much more of an analogue feel to the music.

The Bass and attack of transients perhaps not as good as my Naim set up.

But very early days yet run in wise.

Although perhaps not as fast a sound so far
as Naim , it is however such an easy to follow sound. Music just hangs in space and time and the music is just so relaxing because of this. Mind you, not played pulsating rock music yet to really test this, just my usual audiophile favorites so far.

Will update over the weekend when I can add much more hours to the unit.

4 Likes

Seadog
Congratulations!
Like you I was able to also have a box sneak out of the UK and wing its way across the ocean to the States. Just delivered to me yesterday

Have fun with the burn in - I know I will.

Best
Gregg

12 Likes

Nice :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Rather smart looking set-up there Gregg, congrats!

Hi James and Mark

Thanks for the comments!

I am batting 50/50. On the positive side my Bartok made it out of the dCS factory just in time - the production end closed up today as part of the general UK shut down.

On the flip side it appears I will be relegated to headphone only listening for longer than I thought. Chris W just informed me that the DR kit for my 500 did not make it out of Salisbury prior to the shut down. At this point it sounds like the recap and DR of my 552/500 will not be back to me until …??

Here is an interesting feature of the Bartok - a programmed pink noise break in software app. Just navigate through the menu, push a button, and … a random cycling pink noise program for break in.

My understanding is 50-100 hours.

Enjoy the music!

Best
Gregg

Well done Gregg !
Nothing much else to do for a long time to come I guess, so glad you got yours in.

In hindsight I was really torn between the Bartok and the MSB Premier.

I now know I would have missed out on the Bartok for a long, long time with dCS temporary shutting down production (I did not know that).

Obviously greater issues around the world that sourcing Hi-Fi gear right now. However do not underestimate the relaxing / mental health supporting mechanism of having the occasional Hi-Fi hit at home does for you.

Gregg please tell us how it all goes and your take on the Bartok vs your Linn Streamer when you get around to doing a “head to head” with them. I’ll be interested on your thoughts on that.

3 Likes

Looks nice in black as well i see, i also noticed you have been on the dcs forum, anyway enjoy

So I have put 130 or so hours into the MSB Premier DAC.

It’s OK, but I am not as blown away as I expected to be for the cost and reputation of this DAC.

I have the “basic” set up of the Premier DAC and 1x Discrete Power supply. I suspect I need to go to the extra Discrete Power Supply (like a Naim PS set up, in that will then power separate digital and analogue sections of the DAC - each will have a separate PS feeding it).

That and I think the Renderer Module is also a must.

Currently using then digital out of my HDX, I got a much better sound using it as a proper server via Ethernet out when I had the NDS. So Ethernet is a must I think to get better sound.

Not sure I need a preamp at this stage, I’ll do the above steps to hopefully get a more dynamic and punchier sound that I prefer.

Do you have the external clock? A local dealer suggested that for the unit I was looking at–don’t remember which model it was. Perhaps the Premier has a super clock built in. My reaction which was done in a dealer showroom, but nicely done, was that it was very nice, but I was not blown away either. Seemed to be very well controlled, but not the Prat required to get the $$ out of my pocket and make a change. At the time, I had the ND555 and eventually found the Meridian Ultra Dac to be the one for me that checked off all the boxes. Very happy with it.

No, I didn’t get the upgraded clock. That is quite a step up (but not an obscene cost, just a decent price step up over the stock Clock).

But yes, the vibe I got was the upgraded clock does make it a bit more dynamic.

Sorry to hear you’re not getting along with the MSB Premier, as its a large wedge to outlay and then not like.

Did you not try it on your system at home? As if not thats a big gamble and maybe it’s upset you’re synergy you had before in the system ?

Can you not return it and get you’re money back ? Or i guess you keep on buying the upgrade bits for it in a hope it suddenly does what you’re expecting it to do, but then thats an expensive road to go down as i seen the price off it all, you could end up with almost £40k in it, if i have got it right thats a shocking amount especially if it still doesn’t give you what you want.

Hope you get it sorted

1 Like

Yeah Dunc, because of the way the world is now, I will just have to keep it for now and see how it goes I guess.

For example Naim have shut the factory, dCS same and I assume almost every Hi-Fi manufacturer has done similar. I “might” give the Chord DAVE a go next and compare - with and without the M Scaler.

From all accounts it’s at the other end of the sound “flavour” from MSB and will give me another reference point to compare.

Great point!