dCS Bartok as a one box solution

Thanks for the detailed write up Gregg - I’ll be very interested to hear your further thoughts on the Bartok once this arrives and settles in. Your thoughts on the TT2 / DAVE mirror my own when i demo’d both last year. Amazing detail retrieval with DAVE (the TT2 didn’t really work for me) but ultimately the Brooklyn made music fun and engaging and still does.

The Bartok does intrigue though but how will it compare to the 1Z ??

James

Hi James
Unfortunately you might not like my answer :pensive:

Several weeks ago I started preparing for my bedroom headphone system by retrieving my old Quadraspire stand from storage. It was set up and the Utopia’s and Z1R’s were placed on top together with a stand which held the Sony WM1Z DAP fed by my iPhone/USB/CCK run as a ROON endpoint. I spent several weeks listening to this setup to see how I would adjust to my bedroom system and extremely comfortable listening chair. To be honest I found things quite enjoyable and thought that I could most likely live like this and save a significant amount of money.

Unfortunately that did not last long as after my initial Bartok demo I went immediately back home and listened to the exact same playlist on the Sony. :disappointed_relieved: :weary: :sob:

Absolutely no comparison. A major letdown.
Unfortunately this was not to be unexpected. Logic dictates that a portable DAP has no chance going up against a 17kg toroid transformer laden desktop system.
There was absolutely no contest.
Sorry :persevere:

Best
Gregg

PS It did not help matters that this past week was my 60th birthday. Well - for a milestone like that I had to buy myself a present!

4 Likes

Your long review is very interesting Glevethan. I had the same first impression between DCS Rossini and Linn KDSM. Like you I found the Linn more refined, analog and natural.
But it was at the dealer place, not in my system.
I would be very curious to know how you find the Bartok vs your Kds3 in the 552/500 system.
If the Bartok, reviewed by Todds and Colloms is really on the level of the Nd555, It would be annoying for the Naim performance, costing more than twice the Bartok.

Oh no … Oh well I’ll have to slum it with the 1Z for work and holidays but your Bartok musing are rather intriguing…

Congrats for the 60th - i’ve just done the same albeit 10 years behind you. If i’d not celebrated by treating myself to a new car (and the same for Mrs N) then the Bartok would be getting more serious consideration. The ‘fun’ funds are not depleted too far so i look forward to further updates on your Bartok journey :sunglasses:

Good question. Difficult to respond. Perhaps to have the best source my money can buy.

I have a dealer demo. dCS Bartok ready to be set up at home.

Cannot wait.

1 Like

I hope yours goes as well as mine.
Have fun

1 Like

A quick take on my very short home demo., as I could only have it for a day.

In had it set up to my 252 via single ended cables most of the time.

I tried direct to the ATC SCM 40A, it was OK and totally usable, but I much prefer it via a preamp.for max satisfaction.

The Build quality is simply amazing ( no small feat as I rate Naim build quality very high).

In a nutshell, Dunc nailed it better than I could, it really was like a front row vs much further back in the theatre - Bartok v NDS. It was a much more noticeable “there in the room” presence with vocals than the NDS on almost all tracks that I played. Although I though the soundstage was similar on both, the bass seemed deeper/fuller/ slightly tighter via the Bartok. The perceived Dynamic range also seemed much better on the dCS as well. And I agree there was no loss of prat or engagement either with the dCS. Both the Bartok and dCS Mosaic Streaming App - which includes all system set up as well as changes on the fly is light years better than the Naim App. (Sorry Naim, but it really is).

In short, during my (admittedly very short demo.) it was much more interesting and engaging than my NDS. Although the demo. was far from ideal, crappy IC cables that I had connected & unsure how well run in my set was. If lightly used, then there is clearly better performance available as a new unit runs in etc. Also being able to be upgraded via the Rossini Clock as well as dCS proven track record for software upgrades, is a nice way to have some sort of future upgradability.

I think I am also sold on the dCS Bartok ( non headphone amp. version).

2 Likes

I think when we dem something new we can often find it more engaging simply because it’s different and we are listening really carefully to try to judge it. The proof of the pudding is when it’s been home for a few weeks. Can we listen for hours on end? Do we still want to? Is it really so engaging? Or just different? Do I want to be rammed against the stage when perhaps back near the bar might be better? Is it making everything sound the same, or allowing the intention of the recording to come through?

7 Likes

Well said HH.

I would dearly love an extended home demo. (Just to be 100% sure) but I was at the mercy of the dealer. I assume I was not the only one who desired a home demo. and these are on constant back order with the importer.

Yes,

• what is it like as I am relaxing over a coffee and reading the news, as background music in the morning.
  • What is it like maxed out rocking out to a whole favourite album and not just my selected demo. music.
  • On a dedicated rack with better cables.
  • Single ended connection vs DIN and my SL cable.
  • After a longer new unit run in period , will it be better or worse ? Unlikely, but you never know.
  • Better via DSD or DXD ? Is filter 1, 2,3, or 4 better ?

I do get what you are saying.

1 Like

Another that likes it.
Mine has been in since Wednesday and have to say the more i get to listen to it the better it gets, i did swap the nds back last night but it only lasted one track.
Dont get me wrong the nds is still a great product especially for what you can get one for these days, its just that things have moved on so much, so quickly that its simple left behind.

1 Like

I played one of my go to tracks to see how good the Bartok REALLY does vocals. It was the Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer acoustic version of “Redemption Song”.

It was one of those “I’ll never forget how it sounded ” moments.

2 Likes

Seadog
Congratulations.
Do you ever listen to headphones? If not now then possibly in the future? If so you might want to consider the headphone version. It is an amazing headphone amplifier.

I am in the States - Bartok’s are built to order and there is significant demand. I was quoted 4-6 weeks for a Black headphone version - and as a favor to the US distributor they would provide a silver in 2-3 weeks. I am a Naim user…so Black it was

1 Like

Nah, never got into cans. But I do see the immense added value in this for those that do. I cannot think of another piece of Hi-Fi that does what the Bartok does for the price that they are asking.

Yep, 6 weeks was what I was also told for a new one.

Like yourself i also find the DCS mosaic a nice app control to use, in fact the complete unit is a pleasure to use.
Right now i am 100% definitely getting the Bartok unless i can stretch to that end game rossini

Then u-clock will be very tempting after the Rossini

I thought end game was Vivaldi :rofl:

My understanding is that the 2.0 software update on the Rossini was major - similar to what I experienced when my Klimax DS/2 was upgraded to /3 Katalyst

The vivaldi is a lotto win, but i woukd be very happy with the Bartok as i feel it sound slightly better than even the nd555 and has the better out look going forward and is less than half price. Bargin really. But i made the mistake off listening to the rossini and that is, well you all ready know lol.

If that’s the case then this Bartok is quite a good deal.
I can’t imagine how good should the Vivaldi sound.

Maybe the Bartok is just a nice clean plain feed - and what you’re enjoying is mainly the 552/500 and overall system balance?

You could test that if you bypass the 552.

1 Like