Dead XPSDR

Some power cables like Wireworld have lousy fit on the IEC and the slightest movement or touching them cause fuses to blow. Make sure the power cable used fits great. It is a big difference between brands. Best fit I’ve tried has Audioquest. Better than Naim PL and original.

I’ve had XPS2 from new for about 8 years now and yes constantly switching on off does stress the fuse. I’ve had one shatter big time that was through not leaving off for at least a minute.
Always leave on apart from usual going away etc. Also being hesitant when pushing button can have same effect. Summing up stop messing with it and leave on

Agree a tentative turn on does seem to encourage the fuse to blow. A quick assertive prod works best.

I just leave mine on these days.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I had my XPS2 but I don’t recall it ever blowing a fuse when cycling on/off. Weird. Perhaps the mains voltage/amps here in the states act a little differently.

Quick update. I received the fuses as specified by Naim today and tried one. Although it didn’t explode, it did blow on turn on so can only presume there is something more at play here than just the usual inrush current fragility.

It’s going to the dealer for a look and if that doesn’t resolve the issue it will need to head back to Naim for a proper investigation :frowning:

Can confirm that the power cord is seated correctly and there was no pussy footing around with the power button activation!

I had a PS fuse blow on switch-on over the weekend - I think as the Powerline didn’t seat 100%. Who knows. And the elderly fuse exploded likewise - all good now.

Have you checked the plug socket end of the cable too (opened it up)/used another cable?

I would try one more, and if that blows then it may well indicate that there’s a problem - after all, the equipment fuse is there to prevent serious internal meltdown should a fault occur.

1 Like

Have you checked your supply voltage?

Can you change the power cord, and the socket it is connected to, and try that before going further ?

I have a brand new powerline lite spare so will hook that up to a different mains outlet this evening and try one more time just in case there is a cable issue - unlikely but possible I guess.

My dealer has said he can collect next week and if confirmed there is an issue it will go back to Naim.

How does the warranty system work? It’s a second hand unit but only 3 years old so will I be covered under the 5 years warranty, or will I have to stump up repair costs if there are any?

1 Like

Thanks @Suedkiez looks like it’s on me then.

Good luck! Make sure the IEC plug is tight like Slamdam said above. The only time I had the fuse blow was when I had inserted the Powerline sloppily. I touched the cable, it moved in the plug and sparked, and the fuse went off. Never happened with properly inserted PLs

It’s probably a capacitor going bad if it keeps blowing. Or less likely, could be the primary windings on the transformer are shorted.

I would try another fuse if at all possible, once working as it should one can almost feel the trousers flapping from the energy of the force! :slightly_smiling_face:

One last trick I have done before is … switch off un plug leave few minutes. Put power switch on Then plug into wall socket or if using switched sockets switch on. If fuse blows then I would be returning to dealer. Just a last thought :thinking:

It’s back!

I was resigned to sending it off next week, but as suggested here I decided to try just once more. I used a brand new Powerline Lite I had spare, made sure it was firmly seated in the XPSDR and voila success!

I am now sat here listening to glorious music again through the vastly superior NDX2 with XPSDR supply.

I guess it would be a bad time to mention I have a PS555 on order :laughing:

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like this one needs to be filed under dodgy power cable…

WG

9 Likes

Never ignore the simple problems… :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.