Dealer doesn't recommend adding a nap250 to a uniti Atom

The Atom and 200 is reputed to work well, I used a 200 with Harbeth P3 ESR which are sometimes thought to be the hardest Harbeths to power.

The 272 or by then 282 should be a good combo with a NAP200, but I concur with all the other users that a NAP250 would be a power amp too far.

I added a 250dr to a unitiqute and later took it off (to sell to raise funds for main system upgrade) and haven’t really missed it. But if I was wanting to move over time to, say, a 272/250 then picking up a good value 250 is a move in the right direction - and taking a long term view is usually a good idea

Is this meant to be an encouragement or a warning? :rofl:

The problem with getting the 250DR now is that it locks you into an upgrade path that could prove expensive or involve taking a loss if you have to sell it on. If a 272.2 never appears, and there must be good chance of this, you are really heading for something like a NDX2/282/HCDR/250DR setup. Now that’s a mighty fine system but even though midrange by Naim standards it ain’t cheap. If you have the cash to splash go for it and enjoy. If not, an NDX2/SN3 might be all you need and give you as much pleasure with less outlay.

Roger

2 Likes

I would agree with this, having compared NDX/SN2 to 272/250DR I found the former to be preferable for a very similar budget. (Although I guess demanding speakers might tip the balance in favour of the latter system due to the superior power amp.)

Lots of food for thought here gents. I did think about the 2 box Supernait NDX option but I have sent a fair amount of time selling Roon and the functionality to SWMBO. Jumping to a SN and NDX2 at the moment is not in play, also I’m trying to only by or sell one box in the present climate. Last question. Does anyone have insight into the Atom / 250dr pairing v a NOVA in terms of SQ? it could also be the answer…

'i suppose one question back to you Matt. What do you find wrong sound wise with your present setup to want to add the 250 ?

Based on my experience, adding a 250DR to a Nova made a positive difference, I still use (I’m in transition myself) a 300DR with a Superuniti as a source and it does improve sound quality. To some extent it will depend on the speakers you have, a speaker which is hard to drive or demands greater power to perform at its best may benefit from the addition of a power amp such as the 250DR

1 Like

Good question James!, I am running Harbeth C7’s and have heard them with a full set of Naim boxes at a dealer and the soundstage was fantastic. I don’t get that at the moment with my Atom. My room is roughly 30’ x 20’ als and I can’t help feeling wondering what the C7’s would sound like with more power. I felt the 250 could be a good way to go but am taking on board all feedback and don’t really want to get on an upgrade path that I wont be abe to complete for a few years.

Good to hear Roog! My doubt is wether the Atom will be as good a match as the nova to the 250. Maybe I’ll try to sell it and just spend the cash on a Nova…

Yes! :wink:

1 Like

I have added a 250 dr to my Nova, but I have done a “horizontal bi-amping” to my KEF Reference loudspeakers, meaning that I have removed the external bridge on the loudspeakers between the bass woofers and the mid/high tweeter and subsequently driving the bass section of the loudspeakers with the Nova and the mid/highs with the 250 dr. You cannot “wake up” the 250 dr with the Nova. I am leaving my 250 dr permanently on. My take, and also a knowledgeable member on this forum agrees, is that the power amp takes more punishment by turning it on/off than keeping it on. Should I decide not to use the hifi system for a longer period of time, e.g. go on vacation, I would certainly turn the amp off. Furthermore there is the issue of sound quality, as I am of the opinion that a warmed up power amp sound better than the opposite. Having said this, my 250 dr does not get noticeably warm at all, especially when compared to the Nova, which stay quite warm, also when in stand-by mode.

Hi
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I can see this makes sense and if it works and no harm done then I can live with that
I will do as you describe and bi-amp as in my mind this seems an elegant solution to having two power amps available.
Cheers

1 Like

Please let me know how it worked out! :smiley:

Dont worry … speakers are fully bi-wirable … and cables are also bi-wire
Yep I will let you know … I’m expecting good things
I did try to simplify my setup by going single box but the itch has started and I have a chance of a good deal on a 250 DR so …
PS I am Very impressed with Nova

1 Like

I think you’ll see a significant difference in control with a NAP 250 added. Would your dealer let you try it to compare?

A secondhand Nova would be another option part-exchanging the Atom, but with both a NAP 250 will add boogie factor/authority that was missing before.

I have an old active system with SBLs and pre-DR NAP 250’s.

I put stuff in storage for a long time while getting work done at the house.

I got an Atom virtually on release essentially for temporary use until I got the active system back running when it would have become a second system. The Atom developed a fault soon after purchase, and by then the Nova was available to demo/buy. I tried an Atom vs Nova with other speakers (mine) at the dealership and replace tha Atom with the Nova. Had my other equipment been at home by then and the NDX2 available I’d probably have gone for that, but it wasn’t for quite some time.

The Nova adds a considerable amount to the performance of the Atom not just power.

I added one of the old NAP250s to the Nova and it took it to a different level - fairly certain it would be great with the Atom too, can’t quite remember if i tried that combination as I think the Atom doesn’t have the DIN pre-out.

The Atom is definitely designed to be partnered with an external power amp if you want to - see Naim’s website for the Atom and upgrades.

1 Like

A NAP 250 DR is definitely a big sonic benefit over the Nova’s power.

The NAP 250DR would be on all the time, it cannot be powered on by the Nova.

The Nova’s power amp circuitry would also be active as unlike some older products it is not disabled when an extra power amp is connected.

I was going to get an NDX 2 which I demoed a long time ago, and it beat the Nova hands down. More recently I compared my dealer’s NDX 2 again as it was soon to be ex-demo, and there was only marginal benefit.

The Nova is a splendid all-in-one which is nearly as good sonically as the NDX 2 in my recent experience.

I currently use my Nova as a source into NAC 282/active SBL setup. While I’d love an NDX2 I think the benefits would be marginal without the extra PSU. Naim have done a great job with firmware during the last couple of iterations.

2 Likes

This is really a great tip 77Rand thank you. Also thanks Alleycat and all the other gents. I have to say this has swayed the balance in favour of the 250 and I have now put my money down. SWIMBO is usually a very level headed and logical woman does unfortunately have a glitch in her OS. I’ve discovered it’s triggered when I introduce an extra button to press into her daily workflow. If said extra button is related to any piece of hifi equipment this can even cause a complete system crash. I will now move on unhindered by doubt. Many thanks

2 Likes

In the interests of tying up this thread and offering some basic insights for anyone interested in this route in the future. I’ve only had a couple of days to listen to the 250DR hooked up to the Atom but I have to say I’m really pleased with the addition. It’s exceeded my expectations actually. I was expecting to hear more soundstage, dynamics and grip from the Harbeths and that is certainly the case. What I wasn’t expecting was tons more base and midrange it gave to the Compact 7’s. I was using a sub before from the pre-out of the Atom and I don’t think I’ll replace that now. The mid range has really improved though and I’m hearing so much more punch and tonality, it’s really pleasing. In addition I’m hearing way more detail and that was really unexpected considering what the dealer was saying about the atom not being a capable pre-amp. Maybe this is down to better dynamics but I’m hearing details I was only hearing before on headphones. For instance through Roon/Tidal on the Atom the subtle swirling synth atmos behind the drums on ‘When Doves cry’ is there now and who knew there was a string section layer on the intro of ‘Here I go again’! I am finding though that I’m hearing a slightly more detail in the mids on vinyl (Rega p3 + Exact cartridge/ Schiit Mani) For instance on AL Greens ‘Love and Happiness’ I’m hearing a touch more oscillation in the organ but over all this doesn’t bother me much as strangely I have a wider soundstage streaming as opposed to vinyl. Also I wanted to add that one reason I plumped for the 250 was the kind and insightful help of everyone on this forum, It’s really a big help to someone starting out in this game. Many thanks!

8 Likes

Good to hear you are enjoying your NAP250DR, I’ve changed from NAP200 to the 250DR a couple of months back and I must admit that I’m very happy with the results!

2 Likes