Dear Record Labels

I can’t see anything wrong with that, love my vinyl.

Like my CD’s as well, and getting into streaming, just loving my music.

2 Likes

Just a reminder. You did post this 8 hours ago.

Well I’ll admit straight up that I don’t actually care how it sounds I buy vinyl purely because it makes me more attractive and interesting.

8 Likes

I doubt there’s anyone who has made the decision to go from one format to another on the basis of perceived environmental impact! And if that were to be the primary driver behind format decisions, we would all be switching to shellac or wax respectively played on wind-up gramophones or phonographs!

This Forum uses power too … guilty as charged

We’re all doomed, but the greenies will save us. Enjoy the music folks.

No contradiction there but by all means keep looking. One post reports what is being said. One post reports on a very good analysis which shows it’s not so simple.

My understanding remains that streaming is likely less environmentally friendly than vinyl. My understanding is also that the gap narrows more by the year as the tools we use to analyse such things become ever more sophisticated. Thus it becomes increasingly likely that there is no meaningful gap at all or vinyl will turn out to be the worse of the two.

whether tapes or CDs or both (it’s both) killed vinyls in the 90s, it wasn’t the poly liners which was my point and nothing is “sustainable” when taken to extreme

2 Likes

Lots on vinyl and it’s lack of environmental credentials in this months Record Collector.

‘We will, huh?..’

2 Likes

Come on, just give this a spin and admit that you love jazzzzz! Tissh. :zap::notes::snowboarder::speaker::musical_note::golfing_woman:

Clap along with the happy and groovy crowd. :slightly_smiling_face::saxophone::dragon_face:

Standard disclaimer: No vinyl was used in the making of this post.

“Those of you in the cheaper seats can clap your hands, and those of you in the balcony can just rattle your jewelry.”

And what about the hole in the middle?
New vinyl has a slightly smaller hole,
Old vinyl comes away easy,
New vinyl is a little more tricky,

1 Like

Remember that pencil or biro you had to wind your cassettes? Find it again and gently insert pointy end into record hole and gently twiddle it from both sides. It’ll open up the hole a tiny bit, just enough to ease removing your record from the spindle. Go carefully though!

5 Likes

Or you could use a correctly sized drill bit… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Most of us who bought vinyl records, because (apart from cassette tapes) there was no other way to buy recorded music back in the the day, will be familiar with the litany of defects and penny pinching that I read about in this thread.

I am on good terms with a person who is a musical consultant to one of Italy’s leading opera houses. He once explained to me that the sound we can extract from a CD is theoretically far superior to that of a vinyl record. It all depends on the quality of the mastering of the music. The so called vinyl warmth is really distortion. The list of vinyle sound defects is quite long.

I heard a CD player back in the eighties at a friends house. The next weekend I went out and bought a Phillips CD player. I never bought another pre warped, pre scratched and crackly poppy music carrier.

Looks like record company greed has returned to the vinyl market with all the defects we hated back then. My CD’s I bought in the eighties still sound pristinely clear. On the system based around my Naim amp, the detail and sound quality that I get with a well engineered, is very close to what I hear at a concert.

My nostalgia for the seventies and eighties, does not include the vinyl record.

3 Likes

A hand reamer would be the correct tool for the job.

A pencil or something very thin bladed is usually sufficient…no need to overthink what is a pretty simple thing (on most records IME)

If the hole is too small a pencil isn’t going to make it bigger. :thinking:

That’s where the ‘something thin-bladed’ comes in. I can’t remember offhand what I’ve used, but it wasn’t hi-tech.