Dedicated Mains and Solar PV with batteries

I have solar panels on my roof and and batteries with the inverter in my loft. Batteries are charged during the day by :sun_with_face: and at night from the grid on a cheapo rate.

It means by house runs off batteries most of the time.

When it comes to dedicated mains is the conventional wisdom to run it directly off the mains and bypass the inverter? So avoids any ‘noise’ or interference from the PV system and batteries, but obviously losing the benefit of free/cheap electricity.

I would have thought so………but do not have PV etc

I think that’s why I keep putting off dedicated mains. Feels wrong not to use the PV system, particularly for a big heap of electronics running 24/7. And it doesn’t exactly sound bad now.

The power supplies can be quite noisy but no guarantee dedicated mains would fix that anyway.

There is a long discussion on here which may be worth a read. I have not yet seen any entries on this Forum where Solar or battery input from the house has resulted in any SQ reduction issue.

Furthermore, when you are sending power back to the grid, then a separate Consumer Unit for the HiFi will still get fed from this Solar/battery energy, in any combination of Henley Block configuration. In practice, what you are asking is whether you should place the CT detector just before your House CU input (thereby skipping the HiFi CU), or at the Meter end (covering both CU’s). As these CT’s simply unclip, depending on your installation, you may be able to easily test this out and move it.

1 Like

I’m afraid this is not the way electricity works! The inverter monitors the grid using a CT clamp before the meter. I don’t think the installer would be allowed to put it anywhere else. To maximise self consumption it keep the voltage of the inverter above the grid voltage. To use the grid it sets it below. Both throughout the grid AC cycle. Therefore a dedicated CU will draw from either.

I would say that putting some distance between the inverter and the dedicated CU would make sense.

Phil

1 Like

I have just added a 10kw system to our property (2 x hybred Sunsynk Inverters + 15kw battery+24 solar panels)…running a full fat 500 system 24/7…I was very concerned about possible degredation of the power to the system. I run from the house ring…I have to say the sound is great…I cannot detect any issues…and my system is fairly forensic…my only worry is the voltage is fairly high…at 247 volts (this is not the PV fault the mains voltage seems high in our area). I may get an airlink solution and maybe drop the voltage…

1 Like

Mine is about the same, but other than causing a little more hum in your big toroidal power supplies, you should be OK. If the voltage gets a lot higher, then your inverter may power off for a while, and send you an alert. I had this, but mostly because the inverter is incorrectly measuring the voltage 10volts higher than it is. In my case, I found an inverter setting to reduce what it measures by a max of 5 volts, and it hasn’t tripped since

Following with interest. We’ve had a nice rooftop solar array for about 9 months now, but no battery.
Hard to justify a battery because we already have a generator that powers the entire home in case of a grid outage. I suspect that before too long I will be able to use an electric vehicle as the home battery; I think that Ford already supports that. My Tesla does not (yet).

1 Like

My experience is that the inverters, either micro attached to pv panel or the inverter that is fed from the battery is good. Cant hear any inverter induced noise. This did surprise me, but clearly modern digital inverters are quiet.

1 Like

Absolutely, you would think with all the money we can spend on dedicated mains, HiFi power supplies and cables that a relatively cheaply made inverter would cause issues, but no, doesn’t appear to.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.