Dedicated mains feed

I’ve been thinking about your 50 amp breaker rating. 10mm2 cable is rated at 61 amps, so clearly 50amp breaker would be a suitable size to protect the cable. However the breaker also needs to protect the socket at the other end. Now from what I have read, the terminals of a typical socket are rated at 32 amps which makes sense for a typical ring. So I would have thought a 32amp fuse would be more suitable. Would be interested to know your thoughts?

1 Like

I would run 4 x 10mm runs to 4 sockets and forget the hydra. I know that others disagree on multiple cable runs but I have tried all the variations inc. power blocks, hydras etc. over the years and always came back to separate runs. It gives you a more open soundstage and you can always use one spur if you prefer. Why 4? because you need source, pre, power, and there is always something else, with mine it is currently the TT phono stage. As others say, you only do it once so give yourself the flexibility, the extra cost is marginal…

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you use double sockets? Then even your way would mean two lengths.

I have 2 x 10mm runs into a double socket each, into one I have 1 Hydra with power amps on and another hydra with power supplies. The other socket has just the CD player in it, the turntable Michell NC is plugged into the household mains

I have no thoughts on it at all. All I’d say is that it was installed by a qualified electrician, updated by another qualified electrician, inspected last year by the distribution company and has worked fine for twenty years. I’m happy to trust the professionals who installed it and inspected it.

You could of course, I chose one for each hi-fi component which seemed to be the recommended thinking from the circle of forum members I was discussing the topic with some 20 years ago, who had trialled the different options. It probably comes down to fine lines in terms of benefits but I love the open soundstage and added separation that separate dedicated spurs provide. Like I say though some prefer a single spur for a more “integrated” presentation. I guess you pays your money (which is negligible by comparison) and takes your choice. This way though you have a choice to select whichever mix you prefer…

Hi pslosarc. Would love to understand how you did the A/B comparison leading to your findings please? Enjoy Peter
PS. You don’t seem to have a system on your profile btw.

These are what I use and consider the best

I trialled single spur and bought and sold mains blocks and hydra’s in the past with my previous system. I have tried all 4 components into two double sockets but prefer it as you see above. My system should be on the profile. Right now its P10/Aria/Nova/250DR downsized from CDS3/XPS2/252/SC/300. The Nova is a temporary resident whilst I await the coming of the 372… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, just thought you might like to see my own design/custom built 12 way distribution block. Hardwired with 4mm cable and currently ran through a MK plug-top to the top floor ring main. The 1 meter mains supply cables to the Naim equipment are special custom built. No problems at all.
I do have an Engineering, professional background by the way.

6 Likes

Question directly to @anon4489532 . Without going silly I want a mains block and on the verge of ordering Isotek evo3 Sirius . Would welcome your imput. Thanks

I wouldn’t touch it and would steer clear of anything with conditioning or protection, unless you have disastrous mains issues. The only block I’ve tried recently is the excellent MusicWorks, but that’s twice the price. It’s totally unfiltered.

If I had your two Naim units and the Linn, I’d wire the two Naims into the same mains plug and then plug that and the Linn into a double unswitched socket on the end of the dedicated mains.

These days I have a Grahams Hydra, but with only two powered boxes you can achieve the same thing by wiring into a single plug. Total cost: nil.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Your system would be capable of so much more if you replaced all the switched sockets with unswitched ones. Each one will give you a small upgrade and all of them together could be quite revelatory!

Thats possible, I already have 4 unswitched Schneider double sockets that I might try while the system is down when the Nova goes back to Naim for repair…any votes for Schneider vs. MK vs. Crabtree?

Standard mk sockets are quite good quality but there are others too and it all depends how much you have to spend. I use missing link double silver plated sockets with missing link clear wall plugs for small conductors. They both have matching silver plating which is demonstarted on an e bay listing that there is less noise or better conductivity when used especially as a pair. I use mshd plugs for larger conductors and these are amongst the best wall plugs i’ve ever used. The M link double wall sockets are very clean, simple and are beautifully plated too and i would love to use these on a home made power strip if i had the knowledge to make one. They are slightly more expensive than the mk ones though at approx 38.00 each but they are definately worth the extra though.

I see…the missing link double silver plated sockets look interesting…have you A/B’d them against Schneider/MK/Crabtree alternatives? Looks like they seem to work as a pair with the silver plated wall plugs. Not sure of the benefit if used with Powerlines as you would appear to be mixing 2 different benefit achieving designs? They appear to be out of stock however…

The other wall socket i have is a double RAndrews gold plated one but it’s just a rebadged mk one. I use the m link one for my amp and the mk one for my olsen powerstrip and a spare blamk socket which i use my laptop on. i can neither use each double socket for the amp or power strip because i havent the room to manoevre the powerstrip to the missing limk wall socket and i’m also unable to use the cable for my amp from the mk wall socket as it’s just not long enough. Anyways i’m very happy with the sound from the missimg link socket as i use my best power cable from this one. I think only a furutec gtx ncf will beat it and so it should for 250 pound plus.

OK Henryski, so I took your advise and will now be trialling 2 x Russ Andrews Supersocket II’s (treated with DeoxIT® contact enhancer). I have been talking with RKR recently who suggested these for a modest £27 each. They seem to be attracting a 5 star rating from customers who have bought these. I note that RAndrews also do a new Rhodium plated Signature double socket for £199 but I cannot find a gold plated option so maybe its been superseded? I will A/B trial the Supersocket II’s against my current switched sockets once my Nova returns from Naim. I expect to find an improvement as I am generally a believer in switchless over switched but am intrigued as to what the DeoxIT will offer. By the way, the Supersocket II’s are based upon Hager not MK. I will also A/B trial against the Missing Link Silver Plated Switchless too which are now back in stock.

1 Like

So have now installed the Supersocket IIs and will first A/B them against the original switched sockets. Assuming a SQ improvement there, I will then install the Missing Link Silver Plated sockets in place of the switched sockets and A/B them against the Supersocket IIs…

All I need now is for Naim to return my Nova please…

1 Like