Dedicated mains feed

I think there’s a lot to be said for this approach. It keeps the dedicated mains circuit so much simpler, and there are decent star wired mains blocks out there these days to give you the required number of sockets. A suitably over-spec mains cable, i.e. 10mm T&E with a properly matched circuit breaker (32 or 50 Amp for most Naim systems) would do it.
I had a long chat with Steve Hopkins about this when he was at Naim, and amongst other things, he said that they had tried multiple cable runs to individual sockets, and found it to be inferior to a single cable run. Make of that what you will.
My dealer also insists that a single socket to a decent mains block is the best solution. I thought he was building up to a sales pitch for an eyewateringly expensive audiophile mains block, but he never even suggested one. Instead, he said that putting the block on an upside-down tupperware box worked really well to isolate it!

I had the same conversation at the time but never found it to be true. Mmmm perhaps some experimentation is needed. Think i’ll try the Nova & 250DR on the same socket…definitely not getting an ugly mains block, hate the damn things, no room anyway…

I would have thought if you just had say 10mm to a single socket you might as well go for a double to give more space behind. I do like the simplicity of this as a solution.

It is a double socket. I have 4 x double sockets…

I auppose you can always turn off the other circuits in the consumer unit and see what happens. Even then, I suspect you would have the unused radials potentially picking up any RFI and acting like an antenna, carrying it back to the consumer unit.
I agree that a mains block cluttering up the floor is an eyesore if you can’t hide it. For me, it’s not a problem as I installed mains sockets behind the sofa so I don’t have to look at all that stuff.

Not sure the implications of the above (not sure I have radials even, I have 4 x direct 10mm T&E spurs running to each double socket). I have put the Nova & 250DR on the same double socket and will switch off the unused double back at the CU. I guess I will leave the P10 and Aria each on separate live spurs as before, and have a good listen tonight… :slight_smile:

If your sockets connect twin and earth to the CU then those are radials.

A spur is a branch off a ring main.

That’s how it works in the UK, I don’t know about elsewhere.

Ah Ok… :+1: I will be surprised if I get an improvement as I went through this comparison many years ago, but shall see (different kit now ). My fall back position though is my Nova & 250DR sounding awesome on separate radials… :slight_smile:

I think whichever way you go a dedicated mains feed is a no brainer and a black box upgrade whether its just awesome or awesome +1 (getting the number of feeds right). So glad I made the effort years ago…

Radials are often referred to as spurs. In fact for years, I only ever saw tham referred to as spurs, and electricians often mix the terms up. People seem to get a bit worked up about it, but I knew what you meant!
You clearly have a setup that works for you, so maybe there’s no need to worry too much about the multiple vs single issue, unless you’re curious…

1 Like

I did all the training for an electrician (although didn’t do it as a job), and the biggest annoyance of my teacher was when we used the words bulbs. He would say “Bulbs go in the ground, they are LAMPS!”

I imagine that would encourage you to call them bulbs!

it did :blush:

…isnt that why some of us spend most of our lives on this forum :wink:

Actually i’m most curious in regards to how far I can squeeze the little Nova before I have to cave in and concede to a classics upgrade again, its a bit of an experiment for me. Right now I am really surprised at the SQ I am getting at around 50 Hrs burn-in for both Nova and 250DR and still without the Morgana’s which should arrive over the next few days…

I’m getting a dedicated 20amp line for the hi fi in our new home. I’m not ‘making’ the electricians use special wire; the mere fact that it’s on a dedicated circuit will be an improvement for me (although here in the States our mains are rather quiet generally).

We’ll have a ton of LED lighting in the home – but there’s nothing to do about it. It’s the right lighting in 2020.

sounds like a single run of 2.5mm cable. Do you the option of 6mm? I doubt the cost would change much, and it will result in a much thicker earth cable, which is key

I’ll ask!

1 Like

Yep. Still one of the best upgrades I’ve done. In my case a dedicated CU and a single 10mm2 radial. Getting this part right first really should come before black box upgrades and cable fiddling.

Your mention of Roy reminded me that I’d been in touch with him quite a few years back and had his info pack on an old computer. A lot of it was borderline ‘legal’ then and would certainly not be allowed now.

I would say that some upgrades are worthwhile at any level, and even if they are not very cost effective on lower end kit, the benefits increase as your system grows. I woukd certainly put dedicated mains in that category, along with a decent rack.

1 Like