Dedicated Mains for Nova - worth it?

Hi all,

Considering a dedicated mains feed for my simple Uniti Nova based system. Driving PMC Twenty5 23i’s through WitchHat Phantoms. Waiting on a quote, but have a electrician friend so should be reasonable. Given my level of kit, what are people’s thoughts? A worthwhile investment? Would it likely provide a noticeable uplift in SQ? Thanks in advance.

Yep.

2 Likes

A dedicated mains is always worth it.

1 Like

You probably won’t hear any difference at all (because there won’t be) but I expect you will feel better about it.

11 Likes

Your dedicated mains will probably be cheaper (and if you have a pal who’ll be able to do it for a good price sounds like a no-brainer), but I found a Powerline to be a very worthwhile upgrade compared to the Powerline Lite and there are few upgrades that you can apply to the Nova (NAPs excepted) apart from interconnects/ethernet cables/mains feed/power cables.

I’d get the dedicated mains done if it was simple to do, but factor in the possibility of future upgrades/more boxes and tailor socket numbers appropriately if you go for it.

Unswitched wall sockets might also be worth consideration, I’m sure others will comment, I’ve got a few I need to fit when I have the chance to standard sockets.

2 Likes

Would be useful to know what are the details that your electrician is quoting for?

Based it on this picked up from another thread

With only one double socket though

2 Likes

Nice one! There will be disagreements between various people if you should just have the one socket, or multiple runs, but either way, you have all the basic components for a better supply.

2 Likes

I think its very worthwhile and im sure you will immediately hear the difference. Give it a few weeks to sound its best though. I tried a single radial circuit and multiple radial circuits and found the latter to be considerably better. I also tried 6mm vs 10mm cable and again found the latter to be better.

1 Like

Thanks, looking very feasible after a quick site survey today. Just waiting on a price.

1 Like

Thanks @Alley_Cat will be using unswitched sockets. Considering a full Powerline at some point, but figured dedicated radial first. Once that’s in place I’d like to test a Powerline before committing to the spend!!

1 Like

Was this comment being sarcastic? :thinking:

Not sarcastic, honest….

Interesting. This is what the electrician that recently replaced our fuse box said. He stated that interference on the mains is universal. What’s the basis of your comment please David?

I’d get your sparks back in to see what he’s done wrong then! Ha

You will hear a difference. I recently replaced my dedicated mains switched sockets to unswitched and hear a difference. I would recommend do the powerline upgrade first though to maximise the benefit. Bear in mind that the mains needs to burn in too.

1 Like

With multiple double sockets though, one each per power supply. You only do this once, don’t compromise :blush:

1 Like

The dedicated feed was an upgrade for me, but then later I routed the mains cable away from all other power cables so it runs on its own down the length of my roof space. This was a much larger improvement over the dedicated feed alone. Not always possible but worth mentioning. I assume it eliminates interference from appliances on other mains circuits.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark84 Cable will run up the side of the house, through the loft and back down, so should be well clear of any other circuits :+1:t3:
Seems 10mm t/c+e prices have gone up recently though :roll_eyes:
Job booked in for Oct :blush:

1 Like

Good stuff and glad you found the diagram useful. I have a single 10mm2 T+E run following the same sort of route as the CU is over at the opposite side of the house to the lounge. The easiest way was to take it up from the garage via some built in bedroom wardrobes, go across the loft and then drop down an outside wall via conduit to the lounge socket. All very neat and simple to route. Still one of the best VFM upgrades I’ve done and a good basis for any future upgrades I do to my system. I’ll be interested how you get on :+1:

2 Likes