Dedicated Mains

Just looked at that product…
Taken at face value, it’s a reasonable recommendation.

The parts used are higher quality, for example, with better metals, (Electrical conductivity).

The MK faceplate product is fine. But, feel free to over specify if you wish. No harm.

Hope that helps?

2 Likes

Thanks. Based on Bjm’s comment maybe he searched for something designed to take 10mm

I decided on this……my run from the meter was about a meter, electrician used 10mm……so i thought what the hell, saves getting an upgrade bug later. It easily takes large diameter cables.

1 Like

Sharing a snap of our own installation.
As a work in progress, while other building work was being undertaken. (Hence mess and chaos shown).

In our case, the whole house was rewired.

Separate enclosure(s) for :
(1) Henley bloc
(2) CU, for dedicated 10mm2 radial ccts, (for audio )
(3) CU, for rest of house, power and lighting ccts.

Posting this, thinking you might zoom in, take a look and see all the constituent parts, etc. Hope this helps.

Good luck
R

4 Likes

How did you find the change to dedicated mains?

Henry? It’s Henley.

4 Likes

The Mk faceplate recommended by others will also accept the 10mm2.

Albeit, it’s a struggle to work with any 10mm2 solid copper conduit and correctly install it into anything. If you’ve worked with it, you’ll understand that idea.

Note : Most electricians are shy of this. They only really deal with it for cookers. To ask them to deal with several cables (at once) will make them think

Just saying…

2 Likes

Thanks for spotting

Edited

edit : @HungryHalibut second attempt got there :+1:

1 Like

Yes, I have used 10mm when wiring cookers (under the supervision or final testing by a competent and qualified electrician) and it is a real pain!

Almost.

It cost me less than £150……best bang for the buck ever. Everything was much more cohesive, timing better, more musical. Wonder why it took me so long as the cupboard with the meter is behind the living room wall where the Hifi, now resides.

3 Likes

Like HH, I was advised by Naim to use only one 10mm cable. The problem with this is that sockets are not designed to accept 10mm cable. It fits, but it’s a real struggle to get two 10mm cables into the same socket. On top of that, when you push the socket onto the back box to screw it in place it’s really quite tricky and you have to be careful not to damage anything with the considerable force required to bend all those stiff cables into place. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but an electrician might well refuse to do it. A single socket and a decent mains block or Hydra is, in this respect, a much neater solution.

Regarding MK sockets, I’ve found the more recent Malaysia made ones to be of poor quality compared to the older versions. Personally I would now avoid them.

4 Likes

This is exactly what my electrician said :+1:

4 Likes

He sounds like a gem👍

1 Like

Yes, it’s a shame because the old ones were solidly built. The last few times I’ve bought some I’ve had to return at least 50% of them with manufacturing defects.

1 Like

I would recommend a PowerIgel Plus makes a big difference with correct star earthing.

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878607368761&coid=159503632588890

2 Likes

Doesn’t he…

TBH I’d all but given up on dedicated mains after all the responses I’ve had so far.

He had a long day and a long journey back, and yet he still took the time to look up and text me that socket.

2 Likes

In terms of transformer hum, a dedicated mains made no difference for my humming (recently serviced) XPS 2. Hopefully it will fix yours but be prepared for disappointment.

In terms of difference of having a dedicated mains there is a consistency in the quality of the music that is played. I no longer have the highs and lows in my system that I experienced prior to a dedicated mains.

1 Like

That’s a misconception, the problem typically isn’t the rhodium. Just made several long winded posts on this very subject in the “Furutech Discussion” thread, so worth checking out if you’re curious.

I know nothing about this outlet but from recent experiences I would stay away from anything that uses phosphor bronze as a base metal. It imparts a harshness that you won’t get with a pure copper base metal. Also, Rhodium is more critical/revealing of the base metal its over, so I’d always be even more so inclined to stay away from phosphor bronze if its rhodium plated. If it meets code for your location & you can stretch the budget I’d highly recommend looking at the Furutech Rhodium NCF outlet.

4 Likes