Dedicated radial circuits

:rofl:

But does it lift veils? Or pelmets? Would it budge an antimacassar? Do doilies tremble at its passage?

3 Likes

Just don’t raise the skirt, might get in the way of the sockets, just saying.

All of those are entirely possible. And jaws may hit the floor.

This is encouraging. Several of my chins have been on the floor for a while now. If it also cures sciatica and emulsion of the legs I’m buying 43.

1 Like

If you do go for the ReFlex Ultra G3 distribution box, you really need a sparkly bottom to accompany it.

Trust me, I have one!

1 Like

I would probably have gone for the forum solution but didn’t know better so I have what I have. I have 6 ring mains for normal stuff apart from the fridge and freezers. The kitchen and utility is on a separate CU. I don’t keep stuff on unnecessarily. The earth impedance is very low. We don’t have close neighbours.

I wonder what the proper solution would do. What is the sound quality improvement like? It would be nice to hear from others.

At present I only have brief episodes of the 500 PS humming. There is no noise background on digital. Whenever I’ve heard other system I not spotted anything missing.

Phil

OK. Three radials in, three double sockets. All as per diagram at top of thread. All tested and OK. System put back together, and starting to warm up. Had to play something and OH DEAR LORD!!! It’s not subtle is it? Cymbal decay goes on forever, bass is deeper, much deeper and tighter. I finally get what is meant by it’s in the room with you. (Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room). Mrs. G. had two things to say when she heard it - 1. Wow!! 2. How does a bit of new cable make that much difference?

I can’t explain it because I don’t know how. It just does. Money well spent. Still using a “crap rack” (HH) but that is getting sorted in a few months.

@Donkeyhaute, you have much to look forward to!!

9 Likes

Mother must be proud.

I’ve not budgeted currently for redistributing my sparkles but we have an emergency fund sealed up in old marmalade jars for exactly this use case.

Awesomeness! Congrats! Did you also use 10mm cable?

1 Like

Yes, 10mm cable.

House powered up again (three ancient boards sorted!) and nothing has tripped - his main concern. Hi-fi on but he’s coming back tomorrow to retest and label everything, so I’ll switch off tonight without listening.

Realistically it will be the weekend before everything is settled for a good listen.

G

1 Like

This is another valid point - you’ll need to use deep backboxes for 10mm T&E cable. The cable most certainly has a mind of its own!

1 Like

It’s fine if it’s a straight run in to a connector designed for that cable type like an electric shower or a cooker which requires the sort of continuous current that gauge of cable supports, a fused 13A socket outlet which typically is cabled on 2.5mm T&E on a 32A MCB is not however specified for 10mm T&E. Some faceplate brands have sensible termination layout others will be a complete pickle to connect and then you have the challenge of having enough slack to actually screw down the cables whilst still being able to press that back in to the back box, align the faceplate fixing screws and then hope it sits flush to the wall and is level.
Ultimately unless you have power amps that are pulling a huge amount off your AC mains or some exotic active setup, running in 6mm or even 4mm T&E is probably ample. You’ll certainly find either a lot easier to connect to a faceplate regardless!

Slightly off topic but is that St Catherine’s Oratory in your avatar photo Mr M ?

Flashing glimpse of knickers ?
Much more provocative to trigger the imagination.

1 Like

Keen eye sir, indeed it is. I’m a Caulkhead amongst other things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mr.M,
I see that you have spent a small fortune on powerlines, NACA5 and a highline (me too), but I can assure you that any old kettle leads, bell wire and a freebie din interconnect is probably ample and you’ll certainly find them all easier to connect, but I doubt that you’d be happy with the resulting performance of your very nice Naim system :wink:

Paul.

ps see my post above about the performance difference between 6mm and 10mm

1 Like

We spent a lovely week there last September and wandered up the hill to take a look - i thought it looked familiar :grinning:

Back on topic …

2 Likes

It never ends, seriously, it never ends!