Dedicated Radial Plan

Cut one down?

Some thoughts - with the assumption that skirting is off(?) - perhaps not?

1- 10mm cable is very stiff, so while it may travel down a hollow skirting board (as pictured), getting it out could be a right bu**er, and could cause a protrusion.

2- can you run the 10mm underfloor and then come up the wall behind the racks/in to the new sockets? If you locate the sockets right above the skirting the redecoration impact should be minimal/none, the primary challenge is likely to be the depth of any chase in to the wall/the depth of the pattress (surface back box for the socket) so as to accommodate the cabling-up of the stiff 10mm.

Alternatively, if you have/are to use tall skirting you may be able to run a chase behind the skirting just above the flooring level – but be warned about fixings (obvious reasons) and re-carpeting, as the skirting isn’t so well braced - perhaps use instant adhesives when re-fixing.

Also, be mindful that if carpet with gripper is already down, it’s likely the gripper and carpet is trapping existing skirting in place. In removing a friend’s skirting recently, the gripper had to come up too.

3- If at all possible (perhaps it isn’t under regs?) have you thought about running the hi-fi tails from the EMB (externally it seems) to near the racks and hooking up to the CU there?

If you cannot do this, then perhaps run the 10mm externally (in conduit/trunking) and have it come in where the sockets are. This may be far easier in managing the stiffness of the cabling.

1 Like

Hi Jim - just curious as to why you need to have the CU for the Hi-Fi in the lounge. Can it be tucked away next to the existing house CU or does that cause other problems with cable runs in your planned installation ?

1 Like

I was thinking that or perhaps he could do what I have had done and have th Hifi CU in the meter box and then run the cable externally to the Hifi corner.

That would certainly be the conventional way to do it, and unless the lounge is very close to the meter there are limits to the length of meter tails you can run.

Obviously not answering for @JimDog but the pictures here appear to explain some of the challenges, noting where the BT data cabling etc is.

Connect FTTP to Ethernet Sockets? - Lounge - Naim Audio - Community

1 Like

When I spoke with Jim at the Show he said the house CU was in the middle of the house, whereas the meter is just behind the lounge wall so would be an easier run.

The floor is solid, so can’t can’t go under it.

The fireplace has been removed and replastered hence will need new skirting board anyway. I presume decoration is yet to happen

Sorry Jim, meant that if the cabinet is too deep, and sticks out too far from the wall, possibly causing a reflection from your speakers, then you could possibly cut the cabinet down to a smaller depth. Enough to cover the sockets, with a little bit of storage for say remote controls. Probably easier to do with a flat-packed cabinet, but if you are unsure, I’m sure a carpenter would do that for you.

2 Likes

This is how my meter box is done.

The armoured cable just runs outside into the sitting room behind the rack.

3 Likes

That’s a neat approach. I have a similar arrangement where the final run of 10mm2 T&E from the loft runs externally in conduit to go straight into a socket behind the racks.

3 Likes

I like that solution as you never know in the age of hi-fi man when you might want to reorganise the listening space.

If there is space in the cabinet, then that looks like a good idea, SWA cable can then run outside and straight into the socket

Is that MCG box your HiFi CU?

My box is almost full already.

In my box is that the incoming feed and breaker on the right, the meter top left, and the Earth wire bottom left?

Not sure there’s room for another CU in it, which is why I thought it would have to go in the sitting room.

Or could a very small CU be fitted in the top right hand corner of the box?

I don’t think it will fit in there! You would need a bigger box - or another box on the outside wall, or you can run tails to an internal location although there are restrictions on the length and routing of the tails. I’m sure your electrician will be able to advise.

1 Like

Yes - so ideally another small box containing a HiFi CU on the outside wall, with an armoured cable running in through the wall to supply the unswitched sockets behind the racks.

Right now this is what the inside room looks like, minus the gas fire that I took out:

That hole in the breeze blocks where the fire was goes all the way to the outside.

The plasterer is (hopefully) coming tomorrow to remove the plasterboard chimney breast and make the wall flat.

My electrician cannot come tomorrow, so I’m planning to leave the electricity cable that supplied the gas fire ignition coming out of the wall above the skirting board so it can be used to make a ring main socket of the TV/STB.

I think that would be ideal, although perhaps a bit of an eyesore. If there’s a suitable location on the other side of the wall that might be preferable.

It would be an eyesore, but rarely does a human eye look there as there’s not a path down that side of the house and it’s not visible from elsewhere (shrouded by large man-eating plants).

Yes, the MCG box is my Hifi CU.

Yours looks a tight fit unless something can be done about the unit on the right which is slapped right in the middle.

1 Like

Hi James, does the absence of the RCD make much difference SQ wise? Would this be allowed now?

Phil

Hi Phil - I suspect there would be very little difference but I didn’t compare both options. As I could have non RCD (subject to following some specific install conditions) i went that route. It’s prohibited now for domestic installs in the 18th edition regs.

James

1 Like