Defective 252?

This may not be a defective item, but . . .

I bought a 252 to replace my 82, where everything was working fine.

I had to change my turntable connections from BNC to phono.

I had to buy a Supercap.

All this came together today and I connected everything up. Supercap, Stageline phono to AUX 2, CD player, headphone amp to in3 and amp to PC to AUX 1.

I played a CD and it was silent until I turned to volume to maximum, whereupon I could just about hear the CD playing.

But when I tried the other inputs I still only hear the same CD, just about.

I removed every source apart from the turntable connection in AUX 2. The Stageline is getting power as it should, but no sound comes out.

Any theories?

Have you checked your input assignment?

7.2 Input Socket Assignment
The NAC 252 has six DIN input sockets and two alternative pairs of RCA Phono sockets. The RCA Phono sockets can be assigned individually to the cd and aux 2 input buttons in place of the DIN sockets.
Input assignment setup is accessed through the NAC 252 program mode. To switch into (or exit from) program mode press and hold the prog key on the remote handset (in preamplifier mode). Program mode is indicated by a flashing indicator on the front panel volume control and the record selection indicators extinguishing.
Note: If no function is operated within five minutes of entering program mode the NAC 252 will return to normal mode automatically.

I thought I’d tried that but I went back to the manual and read it more carefully about the light flashes. It seems one has to hold the selection button until the flashes go off, rather than just once. I got the turntable working. I’ll try the CD player tomorrow and see if that works too!

Many thanks for your advice.

3 Likes

Just to confirm, setting both CD and AUX 2 to be used from the appropriate DIN connections means that both CD player and LP12 now make sounds through my loudspeakers.

Headphones and connection to PC also work, although they probably did last night but I didn’t check.

Again, thanks for your help!

1 Like

When in doubt… Check the instructions.

It often pays off… :crazy_face:

Indeed, as a long term worker in IT, after asking “have you tried turning it off and on”, the next question was “have you read the manual”?

In this case it should have been “have you read the manual PROPERLY”.

1 Like

I know when my 282 went back to have the naim logo changed, it must have undergone a factory reset.
I had to get the thick book out and make sure i had din or rca set etc. Simple enough, but you do need the manual.

Power down to be on safe side. Study the Naim manual and check connections are ok. I would check the DIN - XLR interconnect between Supercap and 250. Also the burndy and lead between 252 and Supercap. If satisfied with all that. Power up and possibly factory reset the 252. Maybe report the issue to your dealer and get them to check things over. All the remote button key presses for din-rca input selects for cd and aux2, unity gain mapping, reset to defaults are well explained in the manual

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.