Desert Island Disc

Okay You’re banished for life to the famous desert island.

You are allowed ONE cd &/or ONE album : which would it be?

Remember you’re going to hear this forever! Choose carefully.

1 Like

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht

or

When I first heard this it turned my world upside down. first out of body experience without illicit substances…
Not an easy listen, but it wasn’t meant to be.
It’s like the whole universe shifting and pulsating, expanding and disappearing into black holes.

4 Likes

Blimey, follow that…

Great album, but also connects me to great times. Nothing transcendental though.

Bruce

11 Likes

The Beatles - Abbey Road - CD (1969)

Why? simples its got two of my all times favourite tracks
‘Something’ & "Here Comes The Sun’ and side 2 is just brilliant.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t trouble myself over such thoughts as there would be no stereo system and running electricity.

Alternatively my desert island ingredients would be Garlic and Chillies.
These can make even old shoelaces tasty.

3 Likes

The player is solar powered. Coconuts & sand crabs only.

1 Like

I’ve answered this before. If I’m literally limited to one redbook CD, it would be this:

There are a number of two disc sets that include Bach’s other works for lute - total about 110 minutes of music.

5 Likes

To force me to do my absolute utmost to escape it would be

The serious answer is

7 Likes

:joy:

8 Likes

This so difficult, because my favourite depends on mood. It would have to be something that can pick me up when I’m down, elate me when I’m happy, and encourage me when times are hard. Something deep and meaningful, light and cheery, relaxing and stimulating, full of all emotions. What album does that? (BTW, CDs are as much albums as any other medium!)

Tempted to go with something like Pink Floyd’s DSOTM or The Wall, Roger Waters’ Amused to death, Edgar Broughton’s Sing, brother, sing or Edgar Broughton band, Genesis’s Lamb lies down. And as various others occur to me my mind switches and I think maybe Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata, certainly something listenable to endlessly. That leads me to other classical pieces, and then opera, and opera has it. Shall it be Verdi’s La Traviata, or my first opera love, Puccini’s Turandot? Neither! I think I’ll opt for Puccini’s La Boheme.

So La Boheme it is.

But if I had the choice I’d rather take a musical instrument - with that, once I’ve learnt to play it well, I can accompany myself to any music in my head - anything I’ve ever heard, or something original, which would while away many day/ week/month/year.

4 Likes

Because my ego would eat me alive if I didn’t…

3 Likes

I was on the fence between The Beatles (white album) and this one, David Bowie’s Hunky Dory, which is the one I ultimately chose;

16 Likes

Been a friend for 70 years or so.

8 Likes

It would have to be…

16 Likes

Given it’s my favourite record, it’s hugely varied and eclectic, bears endless re-listening AND in this edition you also get two LPs’ worth of Esher demos, I think it would have to be this…

13 Likes

Tough, very tough but I couldn’t live out my days without hearing Jack Bruce singing Sitting On Top Of The World

8 Likes

I just realised I haven’t heard a single one of these albums posted so far (apart from my own suggestion).

Bruce

Tricky … Bach or Sandy Denny?

6 Likes

51bFPCdYiWL.AC

Primal Scream - Screamadelica.

Never fails to put a smile on my Glasgow face. :scotland:

7 Likes

There are musically more credible albums in my collection but this one I used to enjoy with my late wonderful wife.

24 Likes