Design your own Audio Rack?

There are some lovely looking all wooden designs out there…

If you know your woodworking skills are up to it.
I would recommend, though that more height is made available within the shelves. This will give you some room to experiment further with more isolation technologies.

6 Likes

Definitely a great and satisfyingly blokey thing to do, for sure. I do a lot of DIY, but stop at cabinets!

Those heavy, hardwood shelves look like examples of form over function to me, but of course, we all have our own view on what furniture we’re prepared to have in our homes, and I can fully understand why some people would want to avoid Fraim on aesthetic grounds, never mind the cost.

As I had a spare glass shelf from the Soundstyle rack, I simply used it as a quick fix to aid levelling to get the deck up and running. RDC cones support the glass shelf. I’ve since reinstalled the Rega bracket and levelled it properly with nylon shims up against the wall. Played with the glass in and out of situ, and it made no difference to the sound (that I could tell) so I left it in place as it looks cleaner, although my system may to not be revealing enough downstream to expose any micro changes that may be going on. I certainly wouldn’t go to the expense of adding a glass shelf if I didn’t already have one sat up against the wall not being used.

Recently added a secondhand Funk Firm Achromat to the RP6 and this has made a difference, but I’m not exactly sure I like the effect, more detail revealed but also making the sound slightly leaner on an already lean sounding cart. Swings and roundabouts.

@Praggers. Very nice indeed.

Thanks, I was intrigued as I’d never seen it done before. My little Planar 1 Plus sits directly on the shelf.

1 Like

hifi racks uk can file a lawsuit ( google traduction/ attaquer en justice):grinning::rofl:

great job !

1 Like

if they do I’ll take it as a compliment :wink:

3 Likes

@praggers – looks great. Beautiful wood!!

Yes quite a bit of bracing.

1 Like

Sticking a couple of bits of wood together with a spike can hardly be patented. :upside_down_face:

If the DIY rack produces the same dull, leaden sound as the HiFi Racks original, it will be confirmation that it’s a good copy.

2 Likes

Praggers design

hifi racks uk design

1 Like

FR On that last picture it states they have over 1 n years experience - not enough for sure!

your one is nicer Geoff and probably doesn’t cost 2k :grinning:

That would make me smile too :slight_smile: Some great homemade racks on display here.
There are couple of bought ones too that look kind of tasty. Thanks

FR not sure what you mean by ‘mine’ is nicer? This is the only ‘stand’ I designed, which was used at shows and returned to HQ when not in use.

That’s a big one.

As I said have earlier, I am new to this but are you suggesting that in a blind test you really could distinguish the difference in sound on listening alone? Thanks

I do believe that a good rack can make a significant improvement to the sound of your system, yes. Personally, I rejected Fraim as aesthetically, it would not look good in our house, and it’s a bit large for the space we have. I compromised with a second hand Isoblue rack which certainly improved the sound compared to the old steel rack I had before.