Device for Roon, ripping and downloading music

So would it be correct to say I would need a lower model Innuos or the like for what I am after as already have the good streamer and a higher model Innuos or similar would be used more as the streamer part via a Dac ? So I don’t need a higher model version as would not be used properly?

Generally speaking yes, although with hifi there is always the wish to upgrade and get the best, whether it’s a server, cables etc, realistically the system build is about balance of investment.
In one system I use the Innuos as a streamer so the Zen or the Zenith would be the better choice, personally in your set up, which has some very good Naim kit, the Mini will be a good fit. It will rip, store and act as a Roon core if you wish.

1 Like

Is it enough powerful to run Roon ?

Yes I’ve been running it without any problems for a couple of years, I don’t do anything fancy, DSP etc. The Intel 4200 they use is just a wee bit less powerful than than the i3 core I believe but never look much at the technical aspects as it works.

2 Likes

What’s your price range?

As suggested by others, the OP should try Roon on a normal PC anyway before buying anything, but if a dedicated server is on the cards, you can get a fully Roon-supported NUC-platform in a fanless case with much better specs than the Nucleus for the same price. I just purchased a cirrus7 nimbini media edition for roughly the same price as the standard Nucleus but an i5 10th gen, with 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD for Roon + 4 TB SSD for rips.

I agree that ripping with dbPoweramp is better. Roon can now rip from an USB-attached drive but it is not very sophisticated (filenames basic and not configurable, no control over tags in the file, uses CD Paranoia but no AccurateRip database check). It’s fine if you will use the rips only in Roon, ever, but if you ever want them separately, it’s not so great.

1 Like

Say £1,500.00 ish

Edit: You can choose them with ROCK preinstalled, total plug and play. I think all versions to choose from are on Roon’s list of fully supported NUC platforms, but crosscheck with

Edit: And if you don’t go overboard like I did, 1,500 gets you an external backup drive as well and still outspeccing the Nucleus

Edit: Got myself a cheap Dell USB CD/DVD-RW drive, I believe they only have one model, and dbPoweramp finds that it does everything that is needed with regard to error correction and so on

1 Like

You may find that if you test out the steaming capabilities of an Innuos it’s the NDX2 which becomes redundant.

2 Likes

Hi Morning Mike, you must be reading my mind as only yesterday I was talking to a dealer about which in the Zen series to go for, to use with the NDX2 as I had put the idea of getting one on the back burner for a month or so…

As the NDX2 is the streamer they recommend Zen mini and power supply. Is it overkill to go further up the range do you think.

Thanks

Mark

If NDX2 is your streamer then the DAC in the Mini is not as good as the NDX2 so the only reason to have the Mini would be to rip and store and that’s fine. The ripper and associated software are painless and reliable.

On the other hand I think there’s a case to say that the Zen is comparable to the NDX2 as a streamer whilst the Zenith is superior in many respects. However, for the latter two there is no on board DAC so you’d have to factor that expenditure in. Your dealers advice therefore makes a deal of sense.

In my case I auditioned the NDX2 with Mini as the server and as a streamer alone. The DAC was clearly inferior to that in the NDX2 but would be good enough in plenty of situations. However, when I auditioned the NDX2 versus a Zenith with an outboard DAC there was only winner. My wife streams BBC Sounds and Radio 4 from the Innuos. I just play CD rips and downloads where the CD won’t rip. Absolutely brilliant and no messing with a screen. Just use my iPad Pro.

Appreciate the comprehensive response. Not changing the NDX2 so I will be using the DAC on that so probably plump for the mini set up.

More of a question than a suggestion. If you value the additional power supply and don’t plan to use the Innuos DAC, the Zen with two additional power supplies built in and no DAC may be a viable option ?
I do think with the Innuos range, as with Naim, you get what you pay for, so the DAC will feature in the cost of the Zen Mini. The Zenith as Mike says is another step up but as you are utilising the NDX2 maybe a step too far.

1 Like

Hi. Yes that is a very good point actually, I will not be using the DAC so the Zen is not too much more than the mini and its power supply. How do find the Zen ?

The Zen is a good streamer, ripper and I use it as a Roon Core, so very flexible. I bought it as a replacement for a problematic Unitiserve. Initially I ran it with a Nova then moved onto to Chord DAC and amplification, in this set up the Zen performs well.
The reason I qualified my post as more a question is I’m unsure of the added value of extra power supplies on your setup, you already have a good one on your NDX2, so if they make a difference the Zen would be worth considering. If not significant the Mini on its own may be sufficient for ripping and Roon ?

1 Like

If your only planning of using Roon on one device, not planning to use Roons advanced features such as DSP upsampling or room correctiom via EQ or convolution and plannig no multiroom streaming then the Zen mini is good choice as it does what you need. If you need to support more than one music zone with and use DSP features then Roon may struggle a bit with the lower CPU of the Innuos hardware and the AudioStore servers @Camphuw mentions are a good choice with good support. There are other options if in the US from Small Green Computers Sonic Transporter series.

But none are essential to try out Roon use what you have to test it out first. if you buy into it then make your server decision.

2 Likes

Interestingly CG, as you know I just got my HAF filters and am now engaging Convolution/DSP.
I also have an Innuos Zen and I was wondering if this might be an issue running the additional DSP.

With the HAF filters on CD quality rips, the processing speed in Roon is comfortable.
At 192kHz material the processing speed is very much reduced, but Roon still runs fine.
Roon say that below 1.0 processing speed the CPU is struggling and the Zen CPU maintains the speed well above that.

It could be an issue with files of 352kHz perhaps, but I dont have any to try.
I guess also if more DSP was being done than simply applying a Convolution filter.
So its interesting that the comment is always dont use an Innuos if a lot of DSP is being done, so someone must have had an issue with it once.
But for me it seems to work fine even applying filters, and / or Headphone presets.
Just thought Id mention it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.