‘Diagonal’ Single-Wiring

Yes, that is correct, but as I said, I haven’t experimented with other configurations and I certainly don’t have any scientific basis for it.

No new information to add from this side of the Channel, except that, in my current setup, I also got the best result with a diagonal setup. As mentioned before: feel free to try and trust your own ears, because it is all about your local setup in your specific room!

1 Like

Hang on, I just need a pedantic idiot’s guide to what we’re talking about. Here’s what I think ‘diagonal wiring’ means in this context:

• Your speakers have four terminals each on the back: HF(red), HF(black), LF(red) and LF(black).
  • Your amp has just two terminals per channel: red and black.
  • For an example of diagonal wiring with a single run of cable plus short jumper cables: connect red on amp to HF(red) and then jumper to LF(black) plus black on amp to HF(black) and jumper to LF(red). Same or opposite on the other amp channel, as the fancy takes you.

Now, unless I’ve misunderstood disastrously, wouldn’t this make the HF and LF be out of phase with each other? Sure, I know the different frequencies involved would make phase difference rather moot, but…

Mark

Maybe this helps

1 Like

Could it be from some slight difference in impedance ?
Some crossovers within and behind those terminals could be more susceptible than others to some minuscule impedance variation.

Courtesy of Audioquest

G

3 Likes

The nordost way is the opposite and there is a subtle difference.

Thanks - that corrects my imagination. Obviously no phase issue there.

Equally, no idea why such a tiny difference (even by hi-fi standards) should have any noticeable effect. Still, we’ve all seen stranger claims than this.

Mark

1 Like

Hopefully not confusing (and in line with the picture), to be fully clear: my preference is: + red output from amplifier connected to HF + red on speaker, and - black output of amplifier connected to LF - black on speaker, where the jumpers connect respectively both the + red HF and + red LF as well as the - black LF and - black HF. (I really do hope this isn’t confusing things any further :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)!

I recall recommending “diagonal” wiring to someone on here many moons ago. I use Totem Mani-2’s and Totem recommend the assymetrical diagonal set up to me when I collected my speakers, and that way has always sounded best to me. A close 2nd is both into HF and the one I don’t like is both into LF.
It’s an easy enough tweak though so I’ll give the symmetrical diagonal a whirl at some point.
Crazy to think it makes a difference, but it does.

I have had two pairs of ProAcs, both on the same 500 amp.

My D40R sounded great diagonally. I could turn it up to 12:00 or beyond with no distortion.

My K6 sounded like crap diagonally and sounds much better with the straight setup. Diagonally, the sound breaks up at high volume. It must be the more complex crossover. Interestingly, it sounds even better with the speaker cable into the high side and the jumper into the low side. This surprised me. Try it and let us know what you think.

This is how I have my ProAc’s D20R. I think whats more important than the direction is that the jumpers are the same cable as the main speaker cable.

1 Like

I use TQ Ultra Black and have TQ Ultra Black jumpers. The difference between the configurations is noticeable and not subtle. The one configuration I don’t like with my Totems is both into the LF terminals. Other ears and speakers may differ.

For context, I’m not one who hears a differences because it’s suggested I should. I tried Totem Beaks atop my speaker and didn’t notice a single thing …

The ProAc D40R is a 2-way and the K6 a 3-way, right?

You lot think yourselves lucky with your four terminal dilemma, i like others have six terminals to deal with and all of the extra permutations that brings!

I am currently using Naim plugs at the speaker end so practically I don’t really have to think about it!

2 Likes

Just listening to the symmetrical diagonal set-up. Definitely different to the assymetrical I’ve been using for a couple of years. Not sure if I prefer it yet. It does seem to sweeten the treble and add weight to the bass, but I’m not sure if it isn’t a bit “look at me!” I’ll give it a couple of days.

1 Like

I believe the D40R is a 2 way and the K6 is a three way.

1 Like

Yes, so this would fit AQ’s recommendation

1 Like

Just re-reading the thread and noticed you connect into the LF posts.
You also state “this is the correct way of doing it”. Was this decided by testing or from manufacturer or dealer advice?
I’m not saying you’re wrong, just curious. In over 40 years of this hobby no-one has ever told me that is the best way.

Over the years I’ve bi-wired with bi-wire cable, bi-wired with the same cable into HF & LF and bi-wired with different cables into HF & LF.
On switching to a single run of cable the dealer advised wiring to HF with jumpers to LF.

Since moving to Naim twenty years ago I’ve used a single run of cable connected to HF with jumpers to LF (and a brief spell where I used the “F” Connection I saw on this forum).

On moving to Totem I used the asymmetrical diagonal system Totem recommended and tested that configuration against connecting both to HF and both to LF. Diagonal won, with both to HF a very close second. Indeed I have switched between the two on occasion because it was such a close call. For me, both into LF was by far the worst option, sucking the sparkle out of the sound. Now that is obviously my system, my speakers & my room, your system may well be different.
However, as your jumpers have spades at both ends it’s the easiest thing in the world for you to compare the different configurations. If you do I’d love to hear your findings.
Regards,
SteveO.

1 Like

As has been put many times, this is very speaker specific.
For those with complex speakers, a fair few drivers and more than two sets, my heart goes out to you.
When I have tried the options, at first some differences can be impressive, but the music seemed disjointed. Best to spend some time over it.