‘Diagonal’ Single-Wiring

Hi Steve, thanks for giving me this hint about an asymmetrical diagonal setup. That option never came into my mind :thinking:, … until now always used the symmetrical setup. So I just gave it a try … and yes, there’s actually some difference to be noticed! In line with your assessment, also in my situation, symmetrical gives a bit more bass, and the high end sounds somewhat softened (compared to the asymmetrical setup). I guess your expression ‘more look at me!’ is similar to what I experience: more forward facing!
And indeed, not yet sure what will finally please me most.
I think I will need to give the newly discovered asymmetrical version some extra listening time … :hourglass_flowing_sand: Curious to get also your final verdict in a couple of days.

1 Like

Hi SteveO . First I may have misspoke. But my experience is that on a two way speaker typically the crossover is around 2khz . The woofer/midrange needs more current than the tweeter hence main cables to LF jumpers to HF. But I’m sure that most anything will sound better than the typically not so good sounding stock connectors

Of course, everyone should use what sounds best on their own setup. Personally, I agree with @SteveO, that diagonal with red lead on HF sounds best, and both leads on HF is a close second. But the common sense notion that the LF driver needs more current doesn’t quite jibe with Naim’s recommendation on active operation if you have two different amps. The advice is to put the best, most powerful amp on the tweeter, not the woofer. For example, 500 on tweeter, 300 on woofer, and so on. This may be relevant, or maybe not.

The dealer I got my Peak Consult Incognito’s from recommended diagonal, so that is the only way I have used them. For now, I am using pretty cheap speaker cables, but they sound fantastic, so who knows what better cables can unleash.

Interestingly, that’s the exact same configuration we’re talking about. I only had 3 hours with it last night and after getting used to the change I liked it a lot. I won’t know which I prefer until I change back.

@opus as @AHT wrote, the logic behind putting the plugs into the LF terminals is solid but it’s one of those things things that seems to work contrary to logic. I have to say, you must have more restraint, or be less OCD than me; after reading this thread I’d have tried every combo and made notes on the changes!
I urge you to switch off your amp for 30 seconds and put the red connectors into the HF terminals. I’m sure you’ll be surprised at the difference and hopefully pleased with the change too.

I am jealous of your pics - I wish my jumpers had spades at both ends - my TQ Ultra Black jumpers have spades on one end and bananas at the other - takes me 10 minutes to make the change.
Great to be able to try something that doesn’t cost a penny …

3 Likes

Interesting, Skip. As you know, we have the same speakers, but I’m a fair bit down from you in the amplification stakes. That may account for me being unable to distinguish any audible difference no matter what configuration I try! Or maybe it’s just my cloth ears. :rofl:

2 Likes

@GraemeH

Thanks a lot!

I run ProAc DB1’s & until your post never gave a thought to jumper leads, being happy with the metal bars ProAc supply &, which presumably, your Tabs came with?

I have just ordered £45 worth of NAC A5 jumpers to go with my NAC A5 speaker leads.

I will be amazed if I hear any difference at all but your experience, & that of many others on this thread, made me feel that for £45 it would be worth a try. They should arrive in a week or so.

If I have wasted my money I will send you my invoice for reimbursement. If you would kindly send me your address…

Glad to be of assistance @Canaryfan. I’d almost bet you hear an improvement on the supplied linking bars…almost!

Let us know how it goes.

G

As far as my setup goes my Amp is a Balanced Bridge design. Unlike most amps the ground is Not floating. So mucking about with the hot and ground is something to be avoided. Also when one starts moving cables that have settled they will sound different and typically take at least 12 hours to settle back. Yes it sounds like BS but it’s true.

It will be interesting to see how you find them. My dealer recommended them over the supplied jumpers when my Titan 808s were installed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.