Did Naim remove SMBv1 Support in a recent Firmware update

Whatever…

That’s so very true…
Unfortunately, that’s a reality not quite understood, even by some IT folks.

1 Like

Indeed, attitudes are changing for those actively involved in secure systems and architectures. Zero trust is now one of the names of the game… but even with such security postures old habits die hard, and the perimeter is maintained like a kind of comfort blanket by many :grinning:

I think for the consumer, they forget that potentially vulnerable systems still exist even if they don’t have a screen and/or keyboard attached. They need to be security patched or not used. Would you drive your family up the motorway on totally worn/bald tyres?

Simon, I’ve asked Naim about it and awaiting a response.

1 Like

I can’t imagine there is a lot to be done it’s imbedded xp I believe.

I don’t suppose a Naim server would be a vector to an cyber attack, but you never know, they do it through light bulbs!

SMB1 is only necessary if you want to talk to the download folder in a US or HDX, so what Naim have advised on this forum before is that you temporarily enable SMB1 in your PC, make the changes you want to the download folder and then disable SMB1 again.

I don’t think they can realistically do more, whatever some of our networking experts seem to think!

Best

David

It can even be done through certain VoIP telephones…

Anyway most manufacturers advise of addressed vulnerabilities through vulnerability patching in firmware or otherwise for their appliances. The list associated with embedded XP is significant.

That sounds sensible, is that on a sticky somewhere? I hadn’t seen that advisory. I assume you can disable SMBv1 on the Naim appliance as well once not needed?

Hi Damian (and everyone!)

To confirm, SMBv1 support for Uniti Star was disabled in our Firmware 3.4 release earlier this year.

It will continue to be disabled as a default, but for those of you with third-party systems (including Sonos) whom still rely on SMBv1, we plan to offer an option to enable it, via the Naim App Settings menu, in a forthcoming firmware upgrade.

This is aligned with Microsoft’s approach to offer Windows 10 users the option to enable SMBv1.

2 Likes

Hi Clare - thank you for this update - that clears that up!
Do you have any approx timelines for when that firmware update might come?

Many thanks!

Damian

It’s not the next update, as that’s already in Beta, but hopefully the one after that - i’ll try and get a firmer date for you.

1 Like

Very helpful - ty Clare! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@clare.newsome , thanks for this useful and clear update on SMBv1.
The other query is emergency vulnerability support on MSEmbedded XP. If MS make an extraordinary vulnerability patch release out side of their support lifecycle (ie embedded XP is now outside of its product lifecycle support) as indeed they have from time to time where the matter is severe enough such as the critical CVE-2019-0708 vulnerability (remote code execution vulnerability) will Naim provide a patch for its legacy products that use Embedded Windows XP?

1 Like

From our software team: “If security patches are released for any software we ship, we do our best to deliver them to our customers as soon as possible, once the impact of that update (including on performance) has been fully assessed.”

So as/when Microsoft released patches, we’d certainly get onto implementing them where appropriate/possible.

3 Likes

Thank you

Hi Clare
I have a Unitiserve 2TB (firmware 1.7c) and I can’t now see the Unitiserve in Finder on my Mac (OsX 10.1). The U.S. is working perfectly, is seen on the network etc. but I can’t connect to it using Finder. I want to do this to add some new music to the Downloads folder.

Is this still feasible on Mac ? (it worked a the last time I needed it, a few months ago).

Any help appreciated… Paul

That’d be one for our Support team:

support@naimaudio.com
T: +44 (0) 1722 443405

Hours of service are Mon-Fri 9:30am-5:30pm GMT/BST

Unitiserve discovery on OSX was always erratic. When it fails to appear in the Finder window sidebar, have you looked under Network? I find that it appears more reliably there.

Hi CrisSU, thanks for the suggestion. Agreed it has always been a bit clunky on Mac OSX, but have always managed to get there either by clicking on Network, or alternatively Go To > Server in Finder. It sees the Unitiserve if I fo this, but then fails to connect at the authentication stage, whether I try to connect as a guest or as registered user.

I guess the Unitiserve is now a museum piece !

Cheers, Paul

My Unitiserve works more reliably now than it did when I first bought it 7 years ago, so I’m not complaining. This sporadic failure to appear in the Mac Finder is the one issue that still persists.
(As a user, there is no login. You get full access to all functions as a guest user, although the term guest misleads people into thinking they are missing something.)

The US may be a bit dated, but sadly I will not be replacing mine with a Core if it dies.