Difference in 5 pin DIN cables?

Thanks, @ChrisSU I didn’t know such products exist. Will have a look see.

@Orac unfortunately, he has chewed other interconnects. He has chewed my Cinammon Cat cables from the Back of the NDX2 and my Core. The NDX 2 seems to be the main target as it sits atop my rack with its back/cables exposed.

Maybe you can interest the cat in the AC cord? :rofl:

Just kidding.

My dog is really well behaved in the music room. He’s quite big and even when he visits me at my listening position he’s very careful to back away when he wants to leave so he doesn’t bump into the two Fraim racks. I even have a personal articles insurance policy for the system, and plan to remove all the cables from it now, because I think there is very low risk any will interest him.

The AC cord was next on my list, right after forgetting the door open :joy:

Smooth flexible anti-rodent sheath

Abrasion resistant
Smooth
Soft
Anti-rodent
Tested and approved
Abrasion
The essential solution to protect and fight against rodents that attack your cables and harnesses, this sheath is already used in series in many vehicles.
Thanks to its tested repellent, mice, rats and other rodents are kept at a distance. The anti-rodent sheath is used as a preventive measure above the existing protection or as a replacement if it has already been attacked by rodents.
Smooth and flexible, the sheath adapts perfectly to all environments and also protects against abrasion. ( google traduction from french)

Hi @Stag
I have used Witch Hat din interconnects but now use Yannis Tome Audio din interconnects.

1 Like

Cannot comment on Yannis’s DIN cables, but I’m very happy with a RCA phono cable from YT.

Might it be possible to place the system so as the cat can’t get to the cables?

Cats are creatures of habit & its probably the position of the IC thats got in its head, in that respect HH’s suggestion is worrth thinking about.
My fear would be if the cat changes its taste & took a shine to power cables.

Hi, had this problem with one of my cats. After trying a bitter nail lacquer, interested to stop children from chewing their nails, didn’t work! Bought some spiral wrap, intended to hold cables together, applied where cat could gat at, problem solved.
Paul

Thank you all for your helpful replies. @HungryHalibut Due to downsizing, impossible to relocate audio rack. But I will try one of the alternative non-Naim interconnects suggested above (and keep my ears open for any sound differences if they exist). Will protect the cables with sheathing or spicy tape.

Unless you want something much more costly, in my experience it’s best to stick with the standard lavender/grey interconnect, and keep well away from the real cheapies.

I really wouldn’t compromise on cheap cables, as your NDX2 and SN3 really deserve something decent. You can pick up the Naim interconnects cheaply used, for around £50. You could then get some of this cable protector. I found it on Amazon and it comes in a 13mm size, but you’d need to measure the Din plug to ensure it fits.

I was wondering if you could put your hifi stand, if you use one, in the corner on an angle, to protect the wire.

Yeah, time to dust off the credit card, roll up the sleeves, and try some cable protectors.

I’ll report back on whether the cable protectors make an appreciable difference in sound quality :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m willing to bet good money that an interconnect with effective cable protection will sound much better than the same without that has been chewed in two…

The benefit of spiral wrap is that it is very flexible, cheap (£6/10m), hard on the outside (unbitable) and can cover one or multiple cables.

Careful, “…cover one or multiple cables”, I’m sure someone will mention not putting cables, especially signal cables, in parallel. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Although the chewed one will have a lower noise floor.

1 Like

Anything graded Cat-0 should work.

G

2 Likes

Surely these cable are (were) Cat-8

3 Likes