Dipping a toe into NAS drives

I’m wanting to buy, store and listen to my favourite tracks in the best quality/resolution possible, locally.

Before I go all out and get all the proper gear, I’d like to give things a try using an old PlayStation 3 that I have kicking around.
Has anyone given this a try?

I have no idea if a PS3 is able to run a UPnP server.
For a cheap simple solution just put the files on a USB drive and attach it directly to the streamer.

A PS3 will be very noisy and consume alot of energy as all the other gumph inside is powered up too, eg graphics etc

As Chris suggested a usb drive will suffice with your ndx2 doing the heavy lifting. I’d go for a SSD drive as they’re a bit more reliable and silent running.

Thanks everyone.

Quoting wikipedia-

“PS3 Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP media server. Originally written to support the PlayStation 3, it has been expanded to support a range of other media renderers, including Xbox 360, various Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, and Sony televisions, as well as portable devices. Wikipedia
Operating system: Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux
Final release: 1.90.1 / August 17, 2013; 8 years ago”

I just want to give the super hi res stuff a go, to see if it’s worth bothering with before committing to a dedicated SSD Nas Drive.
I’d like to do back to back comparisons with the same tracks, using streaming service and hi res/DSD tracks.

Having never done this before, I was unsure if the PS3 would add or take away anything from the files.

Ref using the USB input- As far as I was aware, the USB input only goes so far to unlock the potential of the NDX2?

I’ll give it a go and share my findings.

The streamer has a UPnP server built in which will access an attached USB drive. If you can get the PS3 working it would be simple to copy some files to a USB stick and compare them. The files will appear in the Server input under Local Music.

Thanks again everyone.

It seems that I was wrongly thinking that the USB input and a flash/thumb drive would limit playback to 96khz

Whilst I’m asking daft questions, here’s another.
Our Marantz AV receiver (sr7012) can stream Amazon HD but the NDX2 can’t.
Can we use the Marantz as an Amazon HD source and play it through the NDX2 without it being pulled back, downscaled or whatever it’s called?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.