Disable upnp

What is meant by disable upnp?
Surely if I do that I can’t stream from a Nas to a player hooked up to hi-fi.
Or does this mean in Router settings.
I am beginner to a this

Yes its disabled in the router, NAS is unaffected

Yes, it means in the router settings. This does not at all affect the music streaming part of UPnP from NAS to streamer.

UPnP is not just the UPnP Media Server functionality for music or video streaming, it is a whole set of protocols aimed at simplifying services and administration in simple/home networks.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points, and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other’s presence on the network and establish functional network services.

(Wikipedia)

One of these protocols in UPnP family enables the automatic administration of router settings so that certain programs, e.g., multiplayer games, can acquire additional network access rights, which in the case of games they need to communicate with other players on the internet. This would normally be blocked by default on home routers, and the user would have to manually “open the port” on the router for the game. If UPnP is enabled on the router, the game, etc., can configure this by itself without bothering the user.

This is convenient but also a bit of a security risk, as a nefarious program that makes it into the network (e.g. a virus on a computer) can then go and manipulate router settings as well.

Turning off UPnP on the router makes this impossible, i.e., gives back full control to the administrator. If you don’t use programs need this additional network access (e.g., games, file sharing, some others), then turning off UPnP on the router won’t cause any problems. (And if you do, you could still configure the router manually for the programs that you want to explicitly allow).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.