DiY floorstanders for Naim Supernait 2

You seem to have quite a large room.
If it were me I would build something like the Troels. Gravesen Fusion 12 , it c an be driven fom quit low powered amps.

Col,

Thank you !

Thats one possibility certainly…

I moved my subwoofer yesterday to a new position…

Its runs contrary to advise that the subwoofer be kept in a corner

will spend a week with it in this position before i judge it

but that opens up another problem - need to find a place for my turntable and phono stage…

thats for later maybe…

regards

I grew up with DIY audio, the majority of speaker projects were helping my father with various Gilbert Briggs designs.
My big jump was making a pair of HFN/Fris Dalines, we managed the transmission line style cabinets to within half a millimetre. They have been described as an LS3/5a with bass and only went into storage when deemed intrusive. What was interesting was that at at the time I made them a friend bought a pair of IMF TLS90s, his room was twice the size of mine, yet he deemed the bass from the KEF 110 in my speakers, used as the midrange in his, better.
Your room seems quite large, so yes, your wish for bigger bass drivers may work for you.

2 Likes

There is also the DTQWT with a 12 inch bass driver ( rear firing ) + 8 inch mid + tweeter ( front firing )

its 1060 mm tall and about 485 mm deep and 320 mm wide - big speaker…

or a simple TQWT design with a 8 inch midbass…

the latter is a rather simple design & looks promising too

The DTQWT would also be a good choice but not TQWT as you would be back to an 8 inch driver

1 Like

whats the swinging seat ? something out of an S and M dungeon?

3 Likes

sjw

am sure there is an appropriate forum for that too !!

not this one though !

:sunglasses:

regards

thank you Col…

will pull the trigger on one of the 4 i have shortlisted

had been to the whathifi show in Mumbai recently and SB Acoustics informed that troelsgraven might be coming out with an Ekta Grande with SB Acoustics drivers in a couple of months…

They could even give me an audition of their prototype…

Their DiY Kit speakers Ara ( with Be tweeters ) and Rinjani a slim 2.5 way floorstanders are very good i feel and might have a good market here.

what mainly bothers me are 2 things :-

a. dont want to lose what i have already got - crazily great imaging and very pleasing musicality

b. The quest for lower octaves can lead to an amplifier change so i must tread carefully

c. Prefer minimal room treatment

regards

One thing for sure is you need to keep the SN2 this is what probably gives yo a lot of the sound you like.
What you need is a 3 way with 10 or 12 inch bass units ie Troels SBA10 or Fusion 12 etc.

apart from TG designs - i am intrigued by the Jeff Babgy Statements 2 / Anthology
&

Jeff Bagby - Solstice

The Solstice 2 way floorstander looks like my current speaker on high grade protein diet !

TQWT is ruled out - it will be suited for smaller tube amps i guess

so i have narrowed down to

Jenzen Seas ER
SBA 941
SBA 761
Ekta Mk2
Solstice by Parts express and Jeff Bagby

need to do further thinking and research before i pull the trigger…

regards

SBA941 would be a good choice.
Thinking of building this myself.

Col

what is it about the SBA 941 that appeals to you ?

I read somewhere of a frequency dip at 1.5 khz in this model but i dont know to what extent its true

On the internet and social media all it takes is 1 un-educated comment to sow the seeds of doubt…

am just comparing notes…

I am inclined to the Jenzen ER for now…

Wven more to the Parts Ex[ress Solstice build with Morel tweeters and midbass ( 2 way floorstander )

somehow - it appeals to me visually and quietly tugs the heart

The Jenzen ER is a visceral appeal…

Hope i am making sense…

regards

What I like about it is that it has a decent size bass unit and goes low

1 Like

Col

have you asked Troels about the 1.5 khz dip that the frequency spectrum shows…

I admit i cannot read these things well but 1.5 khz is in the audible range…

if you get a convincing answer please share

The Discovery 3WC looks interesting and there are quite a few builds

my greatest worry is how will they sound ?

Troels does state on his website that it is inaudible and I think he is someone you can trust.

Dangerous to trust what someone making/selling a product says, without independent verification (and that goes for all brands) - they may be telling the truth, but you cannot be certain. Add to that, with hifi it depends on the listener (and room) - one person may genuinely not hear an anomaly, while to another it may be really prominent. Some sellers of kits or plans can facilitate hearing a completed pair, but otherwise it is a gamble. That is not in itself a reason for not doing, just important to be aware - and of course tweaking or even rebuilding using trial and error to improve need not be expensive, and the result if it works well can prove worth far more than the money spent.

The irony is …i dont see branded speaker manufacturers sharing data ( freq plots / impedance curves etc… ) as easily as DiY folks…

So even in case of buying branded one really does not know the graphs and highs and lows which may affect sound in the room.

The availability of all this data from DiY websites like TG means that these will be subject to more scrutiny ( atleast from folks like me… with little opportunity for repeat purchase or to make a mistake ) than the branded ones.

But in general i agree with your point.

regards

1 Like

I would be happy to build that design I have viewed the website for many years now and have faith in his designs.
If it were a problem he would not publish the design until he got it right, he spends many hours getting crossovers spot on.

1 Like

Is a 3 way speaker with an 8 + 4 + 1 configuration or similar perform better and sound more spacious than an equivalent 2 way ( 6 inch + 1 inch ) system ?

( for example the Solstice kit with a 1 inch Tweeter and 2 woofers 6.5 inch - 2 way system )

( here the woofers come in upto 1700 Hz and then the tweeter takes over )

I ask this as in the earlier days - tweeters could not go low to maybe 1500 Hz and so you had to have a mid range but modern tweeters play low enough to take over from or hand over to a woofer…

will the 3 way with an 8 + 4 + 1 sound more relaxed and bigger and easier ??

whats your take on this ?

One of the drivers for me looking at a different set of speakers is the largeness / bigness of sound…

at the moment i am using a 2.1 setup with a stand mounted ( 6 inch + 1 inch ) sealed speaker and a 10 inch sealed subwoofer