DIY for cable management

I got things wired back up on Monday but forgot to take a photo :roll_eyes:
I wanted to try and improve the routing of the Powerline this evening, excess is now looped behind the AV amp … best I can get it I think. Here’s a pic of it now.

Good old pipe insulation is used to bridge over the AV wiring, speaker cables are in pipes right at the bottom. Excess Powerline-Lite cabling is pushed under the unit as before.

Still a nightmare but so much better than it was.

Mark

10 Likes

Wow, that’s true commitment (and a lot of cables :astonished:) Hats off!

Pipe insulation FTW always :+1:

1 Like

Cheers, yes quite a challenge, it’s been bugging me for ages so nice to get it done, even though not all the cables can hang freely at least they’re not touching anywhere.

The side benefit of Naim ownership: Learn carpenter skills :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

The MCRU 75 cables arrived today, so time for some modifications to my wooden contraption:

Short cables mean less mess in the snake pit:

Also due to the custom holes, the power cables keep their distance even more from the speaker cables:

And pretty much no cable is touching another at the moment. I’ll come back with my comments on sound quality in a day or so, once I’ve given the cables the chance to “run-in”… :scream: :rofl:

3 Likes

Nice job. Appears well sorted.

So I’ve spent a couple of days trying the MCRU 75 and comparing them to the stock Naim cables. SN2 always powered by a Powerline. I’ve let them two days play night and day with volume at zero, just in case cable burn-in is a fact :sweat_smile:.

Right now my temporary speakers are a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685, and I tried them with 3.5m of NACA5 cable and 7.5m of el cheapo Amazon cable (4mm2 OFC though :innocent:).

The conclusion is that the sound with the MCRUs is completely messed up! There is a strong emphasis on the vocals, which have become more “shouty”, and you cannot follow the music in the background. There is more bass (the B&Ws started exciting my 45Hz room mode which wasn’t happening before) and overall they are more bright. Overall the stock cables are much more balanced and the music has more cohesion. So it’s definitely a no-no, at least with this setup.

Following this trial I am really surprised that:

1. I can consistently hear differences between power cables :scream:
  2. The sound of the system can be affected so much by the cables
  3. The sound of these cables in my system can be so terrible :scream:

The cable change was motivated by the desire to get shorter cables, without expecting any significant sound change. So the MCRU 75 seemed a safe bet with their moderate cost and good comments. Alas, life is not so simple…

My OH also made the same conclusions for the cables, without me mentioning anything beforehand, to avoid biasing her. So I can say that our findings are pretty consistent and objective (again, for this system/room etc.)

I am expecting my new PMC 21i in the coming days, so I’ll give them a chance until then. Of course the speakers will also need some proper run-in, and I need to audition different speaker cables to see what will match better, so it’s a lot of variables at the same time, which is annoying. We will see… For now I will keep the system playing overnight to burn the MCRUs even more (just in case…), but I can’t really see them improving. So back to scavenging used Powerlines if I want to make any modifications I suppose!

1 Like

Thanks, turns out I got my numbers wrong, :roll_eyes: it was the the No 27 that I was thinking of, just went to the site to check!

I’m the same with being surprised that I can hear a difference with power cables, I was pretty sceptical tbh. Been doing some experimenting and the biggest difference for me seems to come from the connectors either end more than the cable itself.

Shame that cable didn’t work out for you, maybe it needs more “running in” :wink:

Cheers,
Mark

I have a question for you, or maybe also others who know Troll Gustavsen.
He shows on his site that he replaced and upgraded the caps on the Ear 912 tubes pre, that I own. He says it’s however a delicate work.
Do you know if it’s possible to send him some gear to have it upgraded, like my pre ?
( I know you have Troll speakers….)

I guess you mean Troels Gravesen :rofl:

I would send him an e-mail asking, he’s usually quick to reply.

But if not, I see he says exactly what to do, providing the schematic and pictures, so if you order the caps anyone local proficient reading a schematic and handling a soldering iron should be able to do it.

1 Like

Yes, Troels Gravesen. Thanks, i will considerer to mail him . Was thinking on that already but thought also that perhaps someone knew if he accepts equipment for a recap/ service.

I doubt he would do a full recap/service. And shipping the unit to him and back for the four caps seems a waste of money. I would find someone local.

would be ideal… But i will have to be sure the work is well done.

Hi, not sure whether he’d do someone else’s gear, but as n-lot says, an email can’t hurt, he’s usually very quick to reply.

Loving my “Troll” speakers! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Without doubt the best cable management I’ve seen. :clap:

1 Like

Needs must :slightly_smiling_face: cheers

Ta daa…

8 Likes

:tada: indeed! Looks great :+1:

From what I read the more important “dressing” is to separate the power units and power cables from the rest.

In my system that means put the HicapDr and the Napsc and my power block away from the 282 cdx2 and ndx2. Not in the same rack.

The power unit from my 300Dr should be there also.
I’m I rigth ?

I did exactly that above. Power is clipped up onto the wall behind and the signal cables run across the surface. The two don’t touch anywhere. Not sure if it makes any difference but it sure can’t hurt.

Finished off with three removable panels to hide everything away. They simply lift off and sit on foam pads to prevent them rattling.

My wife is happy so was worth doing :grinning:

2 Likes