Does anyone know if Naim employ any software engineers?

Great audio. Everything about the software, particularly network software, is awful. Too many problems to list

Constructive comment ā€¦ you been away?

2 Likes

They are hiring if youā€™re interested?

3 Likes

See this post by @Naim.Marketing :grin:

Sorry to hear youā€™re having issues, Kenny. How can we help solve them? Have you talked to your dealer and/or Naim Support?

1 Like

Interestingā€¦

Possibly a list of sectors where buggy code is not an optionā€¦

2 Likes

No issues here, Naims app is stable and their streamers sound bloody excellent!

6 Likes

Well they are owned by Vervent Audio Group so Itā€™s not far from the truth. Alpha Private Equity are the largest stock holder of VAG.

https://www.alphape.com/news/14/Alpha-Private-Equity-Enters-into-exclusive-negotiations-to-acquire-Vervent-Audio-Group

Bahahaaha. Iā€™ve spent nearly 15 years in fintech - mostly working for market infrastructures. Buggy code is the name of the game - if not downright shady vaporware. One globally well known consumer finance company once asked not to have bug fixed because it helped them cook the books in a near untraceable way.

Back on topic, if you search the forum for threads on buggy Naim apps youā€™ll find there is not a consensus. Different people have totally different experiences depending on platform, network config. Some canā€™t get it out of the gate. Others have used it for years and almost never experienced a problem (myself). At a stretch Iā€™d say perhaps it is not robust against environmental factors. OTOH, my other control point apps like Audirvana can be a real pain to use with no end of crashes and glitches.

I expect a lot is made with COTS modules. If you work in fintech like I used to, youā€™ll also know that a few skilled developers cost the same as Naimā€™s annual operating profit and some ā€œlittleā€ projects have budgets greater than Naimā€™s annual turnover. In comparison, Naim are trying to do a lot with very little.

But again, Iā€™d suggest searching for shared experiences. Youā€™ll find no shortage of rants about similar problems and information on how they were fixed.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not an official Naim post - just Linkedin or a recruiter scraping our official ad and getting the details wrongā€¦ Hence no Naim logo on the post.

We are recruiting, though!

3 Likes

I stumbled on it on LinkedIn anyway, figured it was a suitable point to mention it!
Iā€™ve never seen that page on your website, learnt something today it would seem.

1 Like

I suspect Naimā€™s also struggling to hire. Itā€™s a difficult market for employers, and good developers are probably in London, not Salisbury and very expensive.

My advice would actually be to drop the education requirement. IME a developerā€™s education says little about a developerā€™s skill. Iā€™ve seen brilliant developers that didnā€™t finish any study and bad ones with university degrees. Itā€™s an art, not something you learn from a book. And it will increase their chances of finding someone good as most others do have that requirement.

7 Likes

And of course you reported this appropriately and the bug got fixed anyway?

Sorry. Nuclear power background here. Quite important code does whatā€™s itā€™s supposed to do.

Absolutely. I had an interesting conversation with a fellow developer a few years back. I was trying to understand why he wrote such awful code without being obvious. I asked him is it was an art or a science and he told me ā€œDonā€™t be silly. It is a technical discipline pure and simple. You get a spec sheet. You code to it - thatā€™s it.ā€ Explained everything as far as I was concerned.

In my field I know a lot lower level consultants and mid level managers who studied this stuff at uni. The people who get paid the big bucks for cooking up really cool things probably studied a lot harder but not one day in a classroom. Almost none of my peers have a qualification. But we have track records.

1 Like

I know some good software developers with degrees - but none anything to do with computing (e.g. genetics)

Interesting perspective. I know someone who works on core Windows functionality and someone who helped code the platform youā€™re reading this on. Both studied at university and then spent 3 years or more in a darkened room learning even more on the job. Both have worked with people who were self taught and, as you say, probably worked as hard if not harder. Most of the latter have a reputation for not managing more than 3 years in the big leagues.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean with ā€œbig leaguesā€, can you explain? Genuinely asking, as having worked/working for software companies I canā€™t really think of something that would line up with my experience.

But what is genetics if not a code? Base pairing, Chargaffā€™s rule, DNA makes RNA makes proteins etc.

Iā€™d say Naim have got their work cut out with the most talented people being pulled towards banking, venture capital, modelling in general. In other words, not our hobby.

Apologies for Smiths type miserable-ism.

Thatā€™s why perhaps they shouldnā€™t be looking for the ā€˜bestā€™ or ā€˜most talentedā€™ developers, but for passionate developers who also love music and hifi. Someone who loves his job will gladly work hard or spend his free time thinking about new ideas and solutions to problems.

Money shouldnā€™t be the primary motivator for this kind of position.

For a bank programmer, hell yea since itā€™s boring as @##@%, but working for a company like Naim would be a privilege to someone who knows and loves the brand.

5 Likes