Does anyone think that the price of Naim stuff nowadays is a bit expensive

What’s the price in apples!

1 Like

My first Naim is the Atom. Before that Naim was too much for me. The Atom is a great value. It opens up so many digital options. Listening to music is more fun. I’m old so I think that this really will be my last amplifier. My Rega and Hana cart are still my favorite source.

2 Likes

Never again shall I take notice when you suggest Forum gets back on topic

4 Likes

Good for you. Strike out on your own.

2 Likes

Thanks Dad; I’ll try and make you proud - perhaps I’ll win your approval once I determine which fish flakes will kill Nemo

I find naim so expensive to the point I’d never ever consider a new, and probably secondhand, as the massive and consistent price increases give used sellers ammunition to hike the secondhand price, sometimes to the original price that was years ago.

2 Likes

So, if you buy a second hand amp for 3 grand and sell it five years later for 3 grand, all’s good. :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

If no one buys a new car, or hifi come to that, there won’t be any second hand ones! Sorry for re-stating the obvious.

Roger

I love Naim. I think they’re so special. Please keep going!:sunglasses::pray:

Thank you @opus, duly corrected.

I do feel like Tony with my Naim-ie. :smiley:

Jeannie-and-Major-Nelson-i-dream-of-jeannie-6223180-343-298

1 Like

I had a huge crush on both when I was a youngster.

1 Like

The secondhand rip off example.
Naim atom release price £1600/£1800, now £2400+? Secondhand price of the very atom that cost £1600 new is and can be £1600+ secondhand.
Buyer’s beware.

or don’t buy.

What’s your point?

Me too…

1 Like

Check my post, I don’t and won’t buy.

I’m not explaining my point if you can’t decipher

Hi Pete, yeah me too; they are/were both gorgeous. Barbara Eden is still alive and looks fabulous at 88

1 Like

Barbara Eden is 89! I want to know what water she drinks!

I think that example is rather selective and a tad misleading. The price of the Atom when introduced in 2018 was £1999 but specifying HDMI added £150. I think it is now only available with HDMI and the price was £2249 in February of this year and £2399 in September. (All this is from the official Naim price lists.) That is an increase of £250 overall which is certainly steep, particularly during 2020, but this has been an exceptional year. Interestingly the Nova has only gone from £4199 in 2018 to £4299 some two and a half years later.

It makes me wonder if profit margins on the Atom turned out to be too thin to be sustainable at the original price particularly for a product produced in the UK, particularly during a time of Covid.

And it’s always possible to save a couple of hundred by going for the NAD M10. But, as you say, caveat emptor.

Roger

I reckon the price reflects the popularity of Atom. It is a beautiful looking component. Kind of like a Range Rover Evoque, compact and very capable.

1 Like

expensive or inexpensive is a relative term, from the economic point of view - it is all about supply and demand, and that is the key thing for Naim to price their products.