Does anyone think that the price of Naim stuff nowadays is a bit expensive

I think most of us buy what we can afford.

The Naim kit I own was expensive, in my view, but affordable. I also believe that the value and pleasure I receive from the kit is worth the expense.

My current system will provide me years of pleasure as I head into retirement and I believe has a very good cost/benefit ratio for me.

7 Likes

For me it falls into two categories later streaming gear 100% overpriced because of it’s shelf life but their amps and pre amps though a little bit pricey are bomb proof and retain their value well.
My advise is buy used from a proper dealer.

2 Likes

Indeed, but people do. The 3 year change point means they don’t have to MOT it.

My newest car is 26 years old so I’m not in this category. :grin:

1 Like

No.

I guess one way to tell if Naim stuff are overpriced is how market responses to its products thus pricing. Asking uncle google, I was told revenue in 2017 and 2018 were ÂŁ27m and ÂŁ29m respectively; and ÂŁ100m in 2019 Focal & Naim combined. So I guess market is responding adequately well to Naim.

Lets not judge Naim’s performance or any company performance based on this stupid pandemic year.

@Guinnless, you won! I got rid of my old 23 years old car last year. My mechanic friend who worked on it for two decades said it was time. RIP.

2 Likes

I think the power supplies are overpriced.

3 Likes

It is filled with lovely Salisbury air! :wink:

1 Like

Maybe we can change our view, so if Naim stuff are more expensive then there are people purchasing them.

I only talked about brand new stuff but didn’t mean secondhand are expensive. Of course second hand are much more economical, but if most people buy secondhand, then maybe not many people buy new stuff anymore, it’s like for Naim there is already a cycle in secondhand market. This is not good for Naim

I just wish my wages had been indexed to Naim’s price list increases since c.2008 :wink:

In the UK, the still active 2nd-hand (pre-loved - whatever that means!) market, provides a route to obtain all levels of kit, and I regard this as a major plus for the brand. Or negotiate with dealers on ex-dem stock.

Unquestionably, 2nd-hand prices have softened but it must be remembered that things like 500 series kit didn’t appear much before 2008 (IIRC) and the more expensive kit will always lose value fastest which, for some, means relative bargains can be had.

Many legacy UK hi-fi brands are no more or been absorbed in name only in to larger concerns. It’s great that Naim hasn’t lost its independent identity.

1 Like

I have a 555PS on the CDS3. While many see the CD as a dead format, it’s my preferred way to listen, and as far as I’m aware the CDS3 should be serviceable/repairable for many years to come

I think that a healthy used market is good news, for customers, dealers, and also for Naim.

11 Likes

@Desmond, this is a complicated topic. I don’t suppose Naim accepts trade-in although dealers might. I certainly hope Naim would continue to make equipment that are resilient and lasts. I hope Naim would also continue to provide support and firmware updates, feature enhancements and upgrades where it is not limited by hardware.

Making things that lasts (like some cars) inevitably encourages the used market. And one who had an used unit and love it, is arguably more likely to get a new unit one day, knowing it maintains its re-sale value.

That said, it is tough to watch price go up. I know that very well because I waited well over a year for my unit and price went up so far I almost gave up. And using second hand market to evaluate pricing is impossible. With second hand market, sky is the limit. One of my mates just bought a market valued $600 Marantz for $180!

1 Like

There has been a particular issue with quite rapid price increases (around 25%) over the last 2 years in NZ and Australia.

Not sure people really buy outright a new car every 3 years? If they do then price isn’t really a worry at all for anything A car is generally the 2nd most expensive items people buy,unless your on this forum it seems. most lease these days as its more cost effective.

Mine is 16 years old and still going strong and cost £13000 at the time new and has not cost much to keep running. it’s been the most useful thing we ever purchased. Has been able to supply us with more memories than any hifi would bring at any price.

That’s of course absolutely right. Unless people can sell their old stuff for a reasonable price, they won’t be able to buy a new piece of equipment.

I think it’s all rather pointless saying ‘I think the Fraim is expensive’ or ‘I think power supplies are expensive’ or whatever. Oatibix are expensive compared to Weetabix but I buy them because I prefer them for various reasons. I don’t have to buy them. Oatibix and Naim is no different. Buy it or don’t buy it.

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for a healthy ex-demo or used market then there is no way i would’ve ended up with the system i have now. It’s good all round from where i’m standing. Most folks i’ve dealt with most recently have been really genuinely nice people to do business with.

1 Like

Lease is an easy way to buy, but is most certainly not cost effective! You pay £xxx per month, then at the end of 3 years (or whatever term) either hand the car back or, pay a lump sum to own the car. Either way, it actually costs one heck of a lot more than buying the car outright in the first place. Try buying out early (if your circumstances to be able to make the repayments change for example) so that you might sell it and, it’ll cost you thousands more.

I am no tax expert, leasing / novated car lease / fringe benefit tax are not nearly as attractive as they once were. Many schemes require very significant milage to make it worthwhile. That’s a large carbon footprint, not to mention the environmental impact of car manufacturing (and battery production for electric vehicles). I hardly even drive this year given the pandemic lockdown.

When we bought our last vehicle, we (politely) told dealer not to bother telling us about financing, paint protection, leather and carpet treatments, etc. We stuck to our budget and are so happy with the purchase! It was great my wife was there to keep me in check. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Morning HH, I fully agree with your point - pay more or less depending on your priorities.

Do I feel naim is a bit expensive? - Because it is a quality product, Yes.

Do I feel the same after buying and using? - No.