Does Naim still support recap service for the black boxes

We understand there are no more DR upgrade for the black boxes but i am wondering does naim still provide recap service? my local distributor has recently been changed while i have requested my nap 300 for a recap they mentioned they are waiting for Naim official reply. But i have been waited for a month already still nothing. just wondering if anyone done any recap service recently from their dealers or distributors
Thanks

It would be a huge change of policy for Naim to discontinue service of any amplifier, having always prided themselves on being able to look after even the earliest ones they made. It’s true that they no longer offer DR upgrades, but I don’t think you need to worry about regular servicing and recaps on anything.

1 Like

Yes, they offer full service still . Daran Class A too.

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that a service is usually a fair bit more than just a “re-cap”. Naim’s service department continues to service as much Naim kit as possible, even equipment from back in Naim’s early days during the early '70s. We’re also lucky here on the forum to have one of Naim’s top service technicians as an active member who posts here during his own time.

Obviously outside of the UK, servicing is a bit more difficult, and does depend on whether the distributor for each country has the ability and resource available to offer servicing locally or whether shipping back to the Naim factory in the UK and then back to the overseas territory after the service work has been done is a viable option.

3 Likes

I was thinking of putting my SCDR in for a service as the hum has got louder recently. Is the process always through a dealer or is there a direct route?

Always through your Naim dealer.

2 Likes

As I purchased it second hand, I am guessing I can go to any dealer/shop and ask them send it in for a service? Apols if this going over old ground, not meaning to hijack the post.

Yes

2 Likes

I guess I would need to patiently wait for my distributor’s reply.

I did do a recap and even a DR upgrade with the old distributor it was quick with minimal turnaround time. But that was pre Covid.

It just sound strange that my distributor said Naim UK didn’t get back to them for weeks. That is not the usual Naim’s practice.

I did email them before and asked for some advices previously on some Naim equipment and they reply in no time.

I will give another couple of weeks before I wrote to Naim UK directly.

Thank you all for these information.

1 Like

Have you not another dealer not far from you who sells Naim ?

I’ve had a number of SCs over the years, now all three are SCDR. Never had a hum issue.
Might be worth, before you send it in for a service, to check it isn’t your mains influencing the issue.
Check perhaps your mains voltage is within tolerances. If ok, then try in a different location, friends house maybe?

Lots of threads here about the issue of humming. Best to do a lot of reading and follow those tips. Yes Naim kit can hum, but there are other causes. You have extra mains devices on your profile so worth some evaluating.
Worth asking your local dealer their opinion, although not so easy if you didn’t buy there. However service is not a cheap option, only to find the issue isn’t resolved as you wish.

3 Likes

@What_Are_You_To_Me - Lots of very good advice from @sound-hound here for you… :thinking:

2 Likes

Best start here in the FAQ…

2 Likes

Thanks all, @sound-hound I just noticed you have replied to a different thread I started on this so thank you. I don’t want to hijack this one so I will on there. Apologies @alexwongyk

1 Like