Does NDX2 with New Tech sound better than NDS

I had recently decided that an NDX2 was the best future acquisition to achieve excellent streaming with my SN2. It would replace my SU. But I have noticed some good prices on the NDS and I wondered if the NDX2 sounds better because of the new tech.
I would end up getting a PS for the NDX2 anyway.
If the NDS does not stream Qobuz, I can access it thru computer Apps aparently.

Has anyone upgraded from the NDS to the newer Dac and streaming board that the NDX2 has? And to access Qobuz and the latest Naim App?
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

Hi Dave,

No experience but the concensus here is that the NDS sounds better then the NDX2.

However, the NDX2 gets very close and has the advantages of the new platform, including future upgrades that are possible with the more powerful architecture.

Personally I would work through a dealer and listen to both.

M

1 Like

The NDX2 is less capable/refined than the NDS in the analogue output stages (physical decoupling, DAC converter, current to voltage converter, analogue low pass filter and analogue output stage). The NDS and ND555 are very similar in this regard with a few modification and optimisations having been introduced in the ND555.

The area the NDX2 is quite some way ahead of the NDS, as with the ND5XS2 and ND555 is the digital processing, decoupling and streaming transport capability. This was the area of main design and architecture changes between the first generation Naim streamers and the current streamers.

8 Likes

Ah … Mr Underhill, Gandalf said you’d be by …
Oh sorry. I’m a staunch LOTR fan.
Thanks so much for your insights tho. I didn’t think this was going to be an easy choice. And as much as Naim gear never really gets too old; especially their higher end stuff, I tend to lean toward the newer tech, upgradable items. But I can imagine that the NDS sounds very smooth and precise, and would sound better than the NDX2 when playing ripped CDs, and most likely the iradio, and any CD Transport that I would play thru the Dac.

Dave

Thanks for clarifying the differences Simon. From what you’ve said, I suppose the very best option would be to buy an NDS, plus a current streamer to run thru the NDS. Is the digital processing and streaming in the ND5 XS, really as good as it is in the NDX2?

But possibly, the NDX2 alone would provide an SQ that would be close enough to the SQ of the combined setup above; but simpler, less expensive and fully upgradable.
Hard to know, for sure.

Dave

Hi the streaming module in the new streamers, ND5XS2, NDX2 and ND555 is the same, so the capabilities are the same.
As far as running the NDS as a DAC only, and using say the ND5XS2 as a SPDIF transport, its an intriguing idea.

2 Likes

Hi there,
I decided to chose the ND5 XS2, as described the streaming board is state of the art and same to all three.
My enhancement is to chose the Aqua LaVoce S3 as external D/A converter.
In addition I took the uniti core as my ripper with a Samsung 860 QVC 4TB SSD.
I‘m still excited to listening to the music either way, locally (ssd or cd), NAS or Qobuz high-res.

Love the chain and the NAIM Streamer really best, Aqua is best bang for the buck
Cheers Carsten - close to nordscheife

3 Likes

Hello Carsten, welcome to Naim Audio Community.
Looks like a nice setup you have put together there. Good to hear that the ND5 XS2 sounds so good.
Quite a few members here have used other Dacs with the streamers etc., usually one of the Chord Dacs.
Personally, I would prefer to stay with all Naim gear, although I realize that there are probably less expensive methods/components of producing the same level of sound quality. I find that Naim has simplified my hifi setup, and my thoughts of how my system may progress in the future.

But I would really like to be able to listen to some of the other setups out there, such as yours.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

After considering some of the suggested options, I think the best bang for the buck is most likely getting an NDX2, and a good PS to bring out the best in it. I’d like to stick with the SN2, so adding a HiCapdr would also make sense.
If I come across, possibly, a used NDS, I’d love to give it a try by running an NDX2 or ND5XS2 thru it.
One poster was streaming with an Innuos Zen mk3, thru an NDS and an SN2, and said it sounded fabulous.
Cheers.

Dave

You’d love my email address! :wink:

1 Like

The main problem for me is being in Canada. Neither qobuz or Amazon HD are available in Canada. The government via the CRTC, I believe, is blocking all those mediums in order to preserve and promote Canadian crap.
The only hi-rez available to me at the moment is through Tidal, and you cannot access hi-rez Tidal through the name app. That’s a really dumb thing because I like using the name app to control my music.
I know there are other workarounds using a computer with bubbleupnp, or Bluesound2, or Innuos; but I’d prefer to just use Naim equipment and the Naim App, and keep it simple. And not have all those connections to muddy the signal.
And I’m sure that when one is controlling the music through one of the other apps, that you don’t have access to the controls for your Naim gear like you do in the Naim app.

I can’t believe that I have to go through all these other components and softwares, just because the name app won’t access hi-rez through Tidal.

I don’t think I’ve got this wrong, but if I do please advise. The last time I asked somebody this, they told me to set Tidal to high-res or master. Well of course, that was the first thing I did a year ago. But it’s the Naim app that won’t play hi-res Tidal as far as I know.

So that’s why I’ve been thinking of the NDS instead of the NDX. I figure if I’m stuck listening to low-res files, like CD quality files through Tidal, it may as well sound as good as it possibly can. And if I connect an Innuos Zen mini to it, I can rip my CDs and then access that source through the NDS via the Naim app. But I’d probably have to transfer them to a NAS first, if the Naim app is going to read them.

Just seems like such a lot of screwing around, just because the Naim App won’t access hi-rez Tidal.
Mais, c’est la guerre …
Cheers.

Dave

3 Likes

In that case the Nds is the best choice, specially with the very low prices for it actually.
If you have the 555 ps or 555 dr, you will have a wonderful source.
I don’t stream Qobuz neither Tidal, only locally. With a good switch, it’s particularly superb sounding.

1 Like

Hi. I don’t have the PS yet but I’ll get one. So I realize that it will be a substantial purchase even with the NDS being used. I can imagine hoe good it will sound.
When you say only locally, do you mean a NAS or a hard drive or computer?
And sorry to sound like a newby, I’m Canadian, but what is the ‘switch’?
Thanks.

Dave

From an audiophile Nas, a Melco.
The minimum is an xps for the Nds, but an 555 ps is highly recommended.

2 Likes

Hi Dave I believe this might be of use.

Best

2 Likes

Hi HiFi. I just saw your post and its late here. I’ll watch the vid tomorrow.
Thanks so much for the assistance.
I’m fairly new to both Naim and streaming, and I love them both, but there’s a whack small info items that everyone else seems to know about, and if I’m going to make good decisions on what setup to get, I need to learn this stuff quickly.
So, thanks again …
Cheers.

Dave

Lots to learn don’t rush things, get all the answers you need !
This forum has some pretty smart people on it

Best

2 Likes

Well I thought I should update the progress I’ve made since I started this thread. You all had a lot a very helpful advice, and after considering it all, I have actually purchased a pre-owned NDS to go with my SN2.

It’s in perfect condition, and must have been one of the last ones made because the manufacture year was 2017. So, it looks really good, and that’s a very good thing, because I’ll I can do is look at it right now because I don’t have a PS for it yet. What a git.

So anyway, due to a substantial reduction of available audio funds, unfairly imposed on myself by ‘she who shall not be Naimed’, I will have to sub-in something, against my will, whilst I conjure up some $ for a proper power supply. I know we’re not supposed to talk about the other PS’s, but I consider this brief mention to be more like complaining about them, than discussing, so please ignore my herisy on this from here on.

But thanks again to all of you for helping to steer me thru the murky waters of upgrading. I feel I have made the correct choice at this point, and I can’t wait to listen to the outcome.
What a great forum!
Cheers.

Dave

3 Likes

I’m in the same position. My e-bay NDS purchase is here, waiting for the PS to arrive. Also waiting for a shelf to put it on and a cable to connect it with!

2 Likes

Hey Max, I feel your pain. But man, when it arrives and gets hooked up, it’ll be that satisfying Naim treat, but even better now. Enjoy!

I’ll repost when I get a power supply, and post the results. Then when I get a separate PS for the analog section (input 2), I’ll post again.

Let me know how your NDS sounds in your system when you get it all connected.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like