Does new Uniti Roon Update include Uniti Core?

I saw an announcement that Naim will make Uniti gear Roon Ready. Ever the pessimist, I have a feeling this doesn’t include the Naim Uniti Core, and I will continue to remain disappointed.

The new streamers, including the Unitis, have supported Roon for some time now. I’m afraid Naim have no plans to make the Core into a Roon Core, though. It seems to me that it would be a popular move, but apparently, Naim do not agree.

2 Likes

Its likely way underpowered to Run Roon efficiently and would not give the best experience. It was designed to run UPnP which is less CPU demanding than Roon.

At least that is a reason that makes some sense. I have long had the impression that the Unit Core is like an unloved relative that no one will waste any improvement time on, though I’m not sure why.

I would be very surprised if the processor was under-powered in the least. In building the new platform Naim put lots of spare hardware capacity in everywhere for obvious reasons. It would have been completely daft to do otherwise.

A more likely reason would be that they don’t see it as a function of the UnitiCore, in the same way that they have decided not to include iradio in the UnitiCore, even though it was there in Unitiserve.

Best

David

Maybe we should start a petition, or thread requesting these things to be added to the Core. Possibly then, people might consider the Core in the same breath as Melco, Innous, Antipodes, wishful thinking I guess .I still love mine, nonetheless, sounds very good to me.

1 Like

Minimum spec for Roon is an Intel i3 for small/medium libraries up to 6 multiple endpoints , with an i7 recommended for full DSP across multiple endpoints and very large libraries. You can run it on a lower end CPU such as core duos and some of the better Pentiums but you really don’t get the full experience and some features would kill it. Why offer a sub par experience it would only come back and bite them.

Naim say that the UnitiCore processor is:

“The processor is a Quad core 1 GHz NXP iMX6 on which Core is running a modified Linux operating system, specially tailored to a low-noise motherboard”

Not sure where that fits into the options you mention, but it sounds powerful enough for Roon to me?
Best

David

That’s an ARM processor David, I don’t think Roon support ARM.

It’s a processor running Linux so why wouldn’t it support Roon?

Best

David

Although I don’t use Roon I lurk on their forum occasionally, to work out when would be a good time to do my free trial. There are occasional threads asking for official support of Roon on ARM processors, which have been rejected so far (not blanket rejection, more a long-term plan possibility on hefty ARM boxes (I suspect avoiding the underpowered rPi boards causing poor performance)). This leaves Naim a challenge, unless they can convince Roon that the Core is the right box, they can’t claim it as certified.

1 Like

Because a) it’s not powerful enough b) they don’t support the arm architecture because it’s not powerful enough. Roon is not a simple UPnP server it’s very CPU intensive and they clearly state what they support for good reason. Same way Naim don’t support 3rd part PSUs etc and NACA 5 needs to be a minimum length for Naim poweramps. You would. respect Naim in their decisions on this so why ignore what a software company says is the best for their product. You can ignore their advise of course and run Roon on a low powered Intel NAS but your not getting the best out of the product and will run into issues if you want to use its full features. I used a Nas for the trial it worked and have me a taste but I could not use most of the features and it was very slo w, when I switched to a i3 it became a whole new user experience and product. Switching to i7 last year it’s even better and now future proof for the immediate future.

Ok thanks CrystalGipsy I won’t be doing it anyway as I’m not interested in Roon.

Best

David

1 Like

Okay, just had an idea. What if I plugged the Uniti Core into a Roon endpoint, an Audio Alchemy DMP-1 Digital Music Player?

Naim Uniti Core > Audio Alchemy DMP-1 > Berkeley Audio DAC Reference Series 2 > Audiomat tube amp > Quad ESL-63 Speakers

Would that be a way to continue to use the Uniti Core and still do Roon?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.