Does the Naim App run best on iPhones?

When we had our 272 I used the Android version of the naim app and had pretty much given up on it. It’s got lots of UI bugs, sometimes got the “another user is connected” error, randomly missing rooms (we had both 272 and SU).

As part of recent upgrade invested in a new iPad. Night and day. iOS version of the app is rock solid and never has problems accessing or controlling devices.

“Same” app but completely different under the hood it seems.

I’m back to using naim app for NAS playback, using Tidal app for internet streaming. RadioBox handles internet radio where we haven’t set NDX2 favourites.

1 Like

It’s the new version of the SE (2020) I was referring to and that will run IOS 16 and in all likelihood a fair few further upgrades to the OS.

Roger

I tried (for experimentation purposes) the Naim app on my work phone Samsung X-Cover5 against my then iPhone XR, and the XR was miles better in every way.

Mind you, the app is not working properly as yet on my iPhone 13 & iPad (2020):roll_eyes:

I have only just returned to the Naim fold having sold my SBLs many years ago ( ironically I replaced them with Focal speakers ). After buying the Muso Qb my first mistake was trying to use a tablet with a version of Android that would not allow the wireless network to be activated on the Qb. Thanks to this forum I found that the bug was fixed only by using a later version of Android and luckily I had an old Android phone which was new enough to get initially connected.

After this the tablet worked flawlessly. Out of interest i also tried my I-phone and that was perhaps a bit more responsive and seems to look a bit shinier too. It is a newish I-Phone with current OS version but as it only has a small screen i do prefer the Android tablet.

My only gripe so far is exactly the same on both platforms, namely that I can’t just plug in a USB stick and use the playlists on it to navigate content. The app will happily load those same playlists provided by UPNP so that’s my work around.

Well, aged 58, my stubborn Luddite tendency to resist being tracked and controlled robotlike by a smartfone (despite working for BT from 1998 to 2007) collapsed today and I impulsively bought a 2020 Samsung Galaxy in the local Cex shop for £160.

Seems amazing for the money, although I haven’t finished the vile set up process yet.

I did download the Focal & Naim app, but queued up this track on my iPad - sounds amazing tonight again, with the aid of a large glass of Cab Shiraz.

1 Like

It greatly depends on your version of Android and whether both devices use 5Ghz WiFi or not.

I started with the iPhone app. Worked fine. I used that in the main room and an Android app in the office on the second system. Also worked fine. However, When my newer Android later support 5Ghz, the app got a lot more responsive than my old iPhone on 2.4Ghz.

My only gripe is that the iPhone version supports Rovi which I loved reading while listening to music. The Android doesn’t. But you can put a link to AllMusic on your home screen and effectively read the same content.

I always have allmusic open on Safari on my iPad.

Is Rovi an app?

Rovi is the music review database. I believe AllMusic also uses it.

On the iPhone app, you can access the reviews and bios of artists and albums from within the Naim app itself. On Android, there is no such functionality.

1 Like

Is that the ‘Booklet’ in the Naim app on iPad where you can turn pages in a digital booklet to see various collated facts and reviews about the music?

Also, there is the other function in the Naim app on iPad where you can click on the names of artists and albums and get reviews - sometimes excellent ones from allmusic.

If these do not appear on the Naim app in Android devices then perhaps that info is only shared with Naim via Apple?

Yup those are the features I mean. I don’t believe it has anything to specifically to do with Apple. If you pay for Rovi intgration to your app, you can use the database. For whatever reason, Naim have never decided to add this to the Android version. Shame because it was a really nice feature. But I ditched all my Apple devices eventually.

1 Like

The Rovi booklet link on the Naim app is iOS only. It can be a handy enough, but with a web browser at your fingertips on the same device there is all the info you could ever want available, and more.
Some of those Rovi reviews are OK, others I find pretty poor. For me Wikipedia is as good a source as any. It usually has a decent album discography and links to other related stuff.

1 Like

I have the same. Limit of 50 tracks so use the Tidal app. and Tidal Connect when I’m in the mood for a quick Passion. I assume this is a Naim glitch

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.