Does Your System create Emotion

Driving around (picking up Christmas presents), yesterday, we were listening to Tears for Fears new album “The Tipping Point” (2022). Great album and fun the listen to.

My wife (best mate) and myself had some fun and a giggle listening. We definitely connected with the music emotionally. In the car, audio couldn’t be more basic, but the music shines through.

A few days ago, we played “Tinsel Town in the Rain”. From A Walk Across The Rooftops, by The Blue Nile (1984). Using our original Linn vinyl copy on our LP12.

It was staggeringly good…
I mean hairs on the back of the neck type of good.
Whilst that’s a musical connection, it was also a HiFi thing. We know this record well. It’s a favourite. We have this same record in different places on different formats.

We stream from the internet, play CD’s and also use a server. All different ways to enjoy music. In fact, using an Innous server, this does the heavy lifting of musical playback in our house. It’s alway on and I guess we get used to listening this way.

Don’t get me wrong, it sounds great. But a better source will give more music. Maybe more emotion too.

We don’t use the LP12 all the time. But when we do, it’s more likely to get an emotional connection from us. It seems so precise and natural to the original recordings. It brings out notes, timbre, timings, other subtleties that aren’t apparent in other situations.

So, using a phrase a good friend recently shared with me “musical induced frissons” can come in lots of different forms.

It’s all about the music.
But, the HiFi defiantly helps too.

4 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t think it’s a music issue because it’s the same music I was listing with my previous system.

How I end up with this system is a good question : I wanted something more open (bigger soundstage), more transparent and more detailed and I didn’t focus at all on the immediate “emotional” impact of the music. Maybe this system is more revealing so the DAC (a Chord Hugo 2) and the 702 Signature keeps the restitution on the cold side.

It’s a good (costly) but good lesson, I am aware now that I am a person inclined toward pleasurable sound than to an audiophile approach understood as a quest to reach a faithful restitution to the source.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.