Dr. Who?

I have loads of the old DVDs.

All classic who available is on Britbox now. Sadly their navigation is dire.

1 Like

Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker were my childhood favourites, never saw the 60’s episodes at the time.

I’d suggest the Tom Baker stories as there’s a fair bit of humour from Tom, but theer are still many scary episodes.

The reboot was fantastic with Ecclestone - he fell out with the production team apparently and has vowed never to work with them again (or vice versa).

The David Tennant stories are extremely good as well, originally I didn’t like the ‘soap’ elements but they add soem humour in places I suppose.

I’ve been going back through older ‘new who’ with my kids in the last 12-18 months and they really quite enjoy it, they started watching the Matt Smith stuff when they were younger, and have watched it on/off for a while.

Sadly the Jodie Whittaker seasons have been pretty dire apart from one or two episodes - casting is clearly designed to tick diversity quotas and it often sticks out like a sore thumb. Nothing wrong with having a diverse cast of companions however the scripts are dreadful, overtly preachy and too PC in the latest season. Virtually all the regulars seem to have dreadful lines, several seem either rather poor actors or are being directed to act as rather dull uninspiring charcaters, same goes for the lead.

I honestly wonder if it’ll actually have another series, I think they’ve killed it off by meddling too much with the ‘history’.

Special effects are vastly superior to the 70’s/80’s but when the scripts are poor…

We have been enjoying some of Tom Baker’s stuff on Britbox recently - the kids usually groan initially then get hooked on the story.

‘New Who’ really went downhill when Moffat took over from Russel T Davies.

They tried too hard to introduce complex story arcs which just left me baffled, so for the casual viewer I suspect an instant turn off.

Matt Smith’s run was a mixed bag, there were some very ropey stories, then it got a bit too up its own posterior for me.

When you compare Capaldi/Whittaker to David Tennant’s run it really shows you the quality of the early seasons of ‘new who’.

Forgot to mention - what really grates with me in later seasons of New Who is the virtual deification of the doctor, and constant 'No you won’t mr baddie alien, I’m gonna stop you, ‘cause I’M THE DOCTOR!’ type dialogue.

2 Likes

Disappointing, where was his Tardis?

Is Dog Food Dan and the Carmarthen Cowboy available on Brit Box?

Thanks TM

I’ve never seen that! Will check. Shame Blake’s 7 isn’t but I suspect that’s something to do with the TD estate.

Afraid not.

There are several old classic movies there, as well as many good drama series and crime thrillers. Comedies I suppose you either like or don’t.

It’s odd actually as they’ve got things like Rising Damp and lots of Carry On, but Little Britain hs been removed - if they’re not careful and filter older stuff they may have little to show us!

Frankly I’m more annoyed by all the depraved reality shows than things considered non-PC these days.

2 Likes

There is a lovely Jon Culshaw story about Tom Baker. Culshaw was doing Vox Pop interviews as Tom Baker in Ealing , complete with wavy scarf etc, he approached a woman getting into a cab who looked at him with complete horror.

Slightly baffled he continued on and moved slightly closer and she got in very rapidly and the taxi moved off quickly

Then he realised the person he was approaching was (the late) Elizabeth Sladen

What are the odds of that?

1 Like

Thanks for looking - I’m a fan of the late great Peter Blake - probably best known as Kirk St Moritz.

Would Fawlty Towers pass PC scrutiny - it is one of my favourite (possibly no 1) show ever?

1 Like

Or one of my other favourites Hot Metal

Haha. No. It often gets over dubbed.

2 Likes

Do you remember Kenny Everett ?

All in the best possible taste?

I don’t think so, and all at 7.00 p.m. Ye Gods

3 Likes

That was a brilliant Show - Dear John.

1 Like

Back on Who, Chris Ecclestone brought a depth to the character that had been missing and turned the Dr in to the success it has become since. His portrayal of the lonely saviour at the centre of all things was outstanding, both tragic and uplifting at the same time. He and Billie Piper were outstanding I think. The sidekicks have been the best in the reboot after the dire childishness of the post pertwee years. Aimee Pond, DrDonna, and Rose Tyler. Outstanding actresses in excellently written parts.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.