Drive by Truckers/Jason Isbell

I am enjoying the new Jason Isbell and the 400 album ‘Reunions’ and that leads me to his original band the Drive by Truckers but they have a big catalogue so can anyone guide me to two or three of the best to start exploring?

I have bought Jason Isbell’s last two ‘solo’ albums as well, but Reunions is the best IMHO

Bruce

DBT? My favourite is The Dirty South

Southern Rock Opera

1 Like

Just bought the CD after hearing JI on qobuz. CD sounds disappointing… falls far short of qobuz.
Will give it another go…
Great album song wise though

Southeastern wins by some distance. Everything else is a solid 3 out of 5.

Try “It’s Great to Be Alive.” Very nice live album with a good cross section of their work. I have seen them live 5 or 6 times. Great memories.

thanks all. I will have a dabble. Not a live album fan really, I own just two out of nearly 2000 albums!

bruce

Most of their albums are on Spotify (I don’t use the other streaming services).

Strangely, although a big fan of Isbell, I really cannot connect with DBT at all. Leaving them was possibly the best thing Jason ever did!

1 Like

If you are specifically interested in the Jason Isabell era Drive by Truckers then the albums you could listen to are:

• 2003’s Decoration Day
  • 2004’s The Dirty South
  • 2006’s A Blessing and a Curse

I personally like also the resent ones (without Jason Isabell):

• 2014’s English Oceans
  • 2016’s American Band
  • 2020’s The Unraveling

As others have said, The Dirty South is a good starting point. It was my introduction to the DBT and I loved it straight away. I have since bought all the DBT and Jason Isbell albums and, in my opinion, they’re all very good.

I’ve only ever heard The Dirty South, but it’s a belter.

I have downloaded The Dirty South. It is a blast, but I don’t feel the need for a bigger DbT collection

Cheers

Bruce

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.