Dsd 128

I recieved my new ND555 on monday happy with the sound really very good much better than my previously NDS,I was immediately curious to listen how dsd128 sound so I download some files but was disappointing,it’s sound to me weak not alive,nothing going out from the speakers,so I’m asking you guys yours opinion or experience,any conclusions… what’s the point for this new format?

Naim are most comfortable with PCM and their streamers handle DSD by converting it to PCM rather than playback as native DSD.

Even players that used chips that supported native DSD (not all the chips they’ve used do) had this disabled in favor of transcoding DSD to PCM.

That said: it should still sound pretty good with a result comparable to hi res PCM files. But remember, just because a file is hi res or DSD doesn’t mean the master was any good. Often, any ol master is given the hi res/DSD treatment just to sell it.

It’s not a ‘new’ format. I’ve been playing DSD64 on my NDX for as long as Naim made it available.

Feeling_Zen is not quite correct in the description of how it works & how Naim units play it. Its not converted to PCM, its carried over PCM
The system is called DoP; It takes groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream & packs them into 16 bits of a 24/176 data stream. The stream is transmitted to a DoP compatible DAC & is unpacked & played as DSD. There is no conversion.

With DSD you need to crank up the volume. It doesn’t play the same as PCM, the dynamics will appear to be soft/quiet without the extra volume. Volume is lower than normal because DSD has no compression meaning the dynamic range between maximum peak & the lower level parts of the recording is more pronounced.

I tried many DSD files in the past DSD64,and now DSD128 all of them sound weak,I need as much to raise volume and it still sound lifeless…not for me.

Maybe its the music genre, DSD is better for small ensemble & accoustic. I always go for folk, jazz & choral with DSD whenever possible - much better in DSD.
Rock & big orchestra (multitrack & multimic’d) is better in PCM

Even tried on Jazz but still didn`t like it.

I would have to agree regarding DSD. I have downloaded 3 albums in DSD and feel that the Tidal stream is overall better for all 3.

It’s not matter if it’s Tidal or download a file,it’s about DSD format,it’s sound soft weak lifeless and no magic

Just the opposite of what I hear, but hey ho, we can’t all be right

completely agree, on my nds . Dsd is lifeless and boring . But to me , for the music i listen to, it’s not a problem. There is so little dsd available for the music i listen to that i don’t bother.
Perhaps adding a chord hugo to the nd555 for better dsd enjoyment?

This is what happens when we obsess over formats rather than music and assume that newer, higher resolution must in some way be better. DSD for me appeals to the listener who wants to hear the detail of the music but not the music as a piece. I’ve Year some great stuff on DSD and the dynamics were excellent. However, the timing was sluggish and the presentation neutral to dead.

i think the problem is more with naim dacs, converting dsd to pcm…

Naim do not convert DSD to PCM, I posted on how it works yesterday - on this thread !!!

Its not converted to PCM, its carried over PCM
The system is called DoP; It takes groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit samples from a DSD stream & packs them into 16 bits of a 24/176 data stream. The stream is transmitted to a DoP compatible DAC & is unpacked & played as DSD. There is no conversion.

1 Like

Did blind tests dsd64/128 vs 92/192…for me no big differences …l‘ll stick with PCM…and the most important thing: if the recording is done by profis in the studio even a CD can sound sublime…l‘m pretty done with the format discussion…:+1:

I prefer to listen in music as one piece,more musical to me, mine mostly music includes Blues bands and Rock classic, needs to be more dynamic more energy,with DSD you get the opposite texture.i prefer HD

1 Like

what is !!! ? i didn’t heard your lesson Mr Teacher?

anyway, dsd is not sounding good with naim streamers, for me at least. Not converted or carried don’t change a lot finally, because it’s not directly decoded.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.