DSD, where and why do we use it?

DSD is a simple format but not very popular even in pro-circles as it is very impractical to edit or eq etc. To do any of these operations it is normally converted to PCM and then back to DSD again.

The other bad news is that it is a noisy format as used with SACD-disks (DSD64). This is handled with noise shaping, moving the noise mostly up above 20kHz (which may or may not be well handled by your amps). I fact SACD/DSD64 are said to be worse than CD:s at high frequencies.

This means you cannot brickwall-compress the music as you can with a CD which I think most see as an advantage. On the other hand this noise is also often subjectively heard as brightness. My personal take is I rather have upper frequency noise than over-compressed music so I still buy SACD:s and rip.

As an aside, in the old analog days adding signal dependent noise was used as a mixing trick to make your mix sound brighter and stand-out on the radio (escpecially AM). As an example I have been told Abba used this trick in radio-mixes.

If you want to hear how good DSD actually can sound - go for DSD128 or even better DSD256 and music that can be handled without edits.

I use DSD, but as SACDs. These I play on a player that has two ‘processors’; one for PCM and a separate true 1 bit processor for DSD. Naim use DoP as far as I can tell and therein is the problem. If you want to hear what DSD can do then you need to use a dedicated 1 bit DAC.

2 Likes

Ah! My Holo DAC has a separate DSD dac built in. Somehow utilising an R2R network

1 Like

I’m using a Holo Audio DAC and play DSD files natively - not DOP - from an external SSD via USB. I have ripped all my SACDs and buy DSD downloads from High Definition Tape Transfers, Native DSD and Blue Coast Music. Played natively DSD is imho the best sound source available and the Holo Audio’s DSD DAC is superb.

1 Like

I have also enjoyed the latest DSD256 files from HD Tape Transfers. Their explanation on why it sound so good was that DSD is easier on the DAC (if it handles DSD natively) causing less electronic noise.

1 Like

Perhaps a silly question, what do you plug the USB into? Surely not directly to the DAC

You need a device with an app to locate and ‘play’ the DSD in it’s native format. I have been using a Pro-Ject Stream Box ultra RS - which has a USB input and USB output. It can handle up to DSD 256 in native mode. I connect my external SSD drive containing my collection of DSD files to it. Connect it’s USB output to the Holo DAC’s USB input and all is controlled by the Pro-Ject Play app from my iPad/iPhone. I am just upgrading to a Lumin U2 mini to replace the Pro-Ject - which sounds excellent by the way and streams Qobuz/Tidal/Spotify etc too plus upsampling and buffering.

1 Like

I use DSD via SACDs, which I absolutely love – bar far and away my favourite digital format.

SACDs are played on an Oppo 205 universal player via the analogue outlets. Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Dylan, Goldfrapp, Can, plus a host of jazz and classical titles all get heavy play in these parts, and the SACDs sound wonderful: detailed, meaty and rich, with a high boogie factor.

4 Likes

I understand. Looks like my naim streamer, used as a transport, converts the signal to DOP despite having it set to native output. So after all of that i still havent heard the DSD DAC in the Holo!

I was suspicious when the sample rate shown on the Holo didn’t match the DSD rate, in fact it corresponds with conversion to PCM…

If you really want to hear native DSD - and it is the best imho - you must have a streamer/app the has USB input and USB output that allows native DSD passage and the ability to choose the music played with an app. I also have a Korg MR2000S DSD recorder - similar machine to that still being used in recording studios making DSD masters. Recording from an audio cassette at DSD 128 from a good Nakamichi cassette deck is amazingly good - people wouldn’t believe that by the way. HDTT sometimes record from old consumer reel to reel tapes from the 60s and the results are great.

I do nit think that Naim streamers convert DSD to PCM. I have native DSD as well as SACD rip files played on NDX2 as DSD.

Naim uses DOP. It doesn’t play native DSD. It’s converted. For me DSD on Naim is poor.

Thought so.

Next steps for me would be

Buy a new streaming transport…nope

Mess about trying to make it work with software and a laptop…i really cant be bothered! Hi res PCM will do me for now.

1 Like

I don’t bother too because the dsd albums I like are also in original analogue format, so I prefer to put an lp. The new or recent albums on DSD are generally for classical music, which I don’t listen to.

So even when the Naim app and ND555 says it’s playing dsd it really isn’t on material I have downloaded in DSD?

Correct. Naim’s Burr-Brown DACs will only play PCM so it’s converted to PCM - possibly by the SHARC processor IIRC.

2 Likes

No, there are always misunderstandings what DoP is (here DSD is encapsulated in PCM for transporting and completely lossless).
But Naim products don’t have a DAC integrated, which can handle DSD directly and before decoding DSD will transferred to PCM, which isn’t lossless.
For me I’m letting in using the Naim Unity Atom HE Roon convert DSD to PCM with 352.8 kHz and this sounds ok.
But with other DACs (Lumin, exaSound, Matrix Audio, Primare, Oppo, Topping, …), which are hsndling DSD directly, I prefer converting all sources to DSD (256 or 512), which sounds for me more analogue.
In general my way is don’t let the DAC converting the sources before decoding, but outside on a PC with Roon or HQPlayer, which sounds for me really better.

2 Likes

Here is a detailed description of the DoP standard. This may help to clarify the issues. It’s a nice bit of tinkering, but it’s tinkering.

→ DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com

Encoding music in DSD format does not make sense.

The initial idea was very nice, but not in practice.

As mentioned above, we cannot edit music recorded in DSD.

It has to be transcoded to PCM to be edited (mastered).

It is then transcoded back to DSD for sales purposes.

The DSD format is to be relegated to the rank of a bad good idea.

I believe that it is still being used because, for some reason, it helps to sell.

The future of recording/mastering (and replaying) is Digital eXtreme Definition (DXD) and beyond, which is PCM.

Here is a very nice document for those interested in understanding the two encoding formats.

You can start with the summary and then read the rest to dig a bit more.

→ DSD vs. PCM: Myth vs. Truth - Mojo Audio

EDIT :

The historical, non-technical, part is very interesting :wink:

2 Likes

Great article, thanks.

Most music I love is available on CD 16bit 44.1 resolution only, have some SACD’s but most music I have acquired over the years on this format was more an expectative of gaining better sound reproduction out of my system and they did do that in some cases, even got the Sony SCD-1 when it was out.

Today I mostly stream, my SACD’s and CD’s are collecting dust, purchased last year a Denon DCD 2500NE that sounds very good but never use it.

What I found is that some dac’s play realy well DSD other shine with PCM, for example the DCD 2500 does DSD realy good, as well some IFi DAC’s, Naim does not like DSD but shines with PCM, so converting in roon the DSD to PCM before sending to the NAIM streamer is a must.

Regarding MQA, the absence of it on some brands is similar to the absence of DSD on some dac’s, I would love to have it, but also can live without.

1 Like

I wonder if in the future we would stream native DSD online. We will have Qobuz hifi, Qobuz hires , and Qobuz DSD family pack.