Dumb mistakes!

I switched from NACA5 to Townshend ISOLDA for my biwire-capable speakers; IMHO, the Townshend cable sounded significantly superior to the A5. I wanted to try biwiring the speakers (rather than use jumpers) so purchased a second set of ISOLDAs. While there was a further improvement using biwired pairs over the single set, the 300DR didn’t like the load; it ran warm and the fan was always on. (I’m aware of the issues with biwiring and loading of Naim amps.) So Townshend graciously made me a pair of black boxes (single-to-double pairs of outputs with load correction) that will permit safely using the two pairs of speaker cable per channel. Apparently one of the black boxes was damaged during shipping and that caused the dead-channel problem. I know that should have been the obvious cause of the dead channel, but I swapped the boxes and the dead channel remained, so I incorrectly initially eliminated the boxes as the source of the problem. After all the trouble shooting, I removed the black boxes and went back to the single-wire-with-jumper all was OK so the source of the problem became obvious. Next step is getting the box issue corrected.

P.S. I don’t think discussing a black box would be considered an alteration, so hope I’m not breaking any forum rules.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.