Dynaudio Evoke 50s

Looking at upgrading my Spendor A6s . Would this Dynaudio speaker be good enough for my system (252/SCDR/300DR)? Thanks

With that combination I would consider the Contour 30i or 60i or maybe even the Confidence range. Your amp is good enough.

2 Likes

I ran a pair of Evoke 50’s for a year.
They sounded fabulous, but my space was not suited to them sadly. A medium sized timber cabin and a pair of large rear ported speakers were not a match made in heaven🫤
They are a fabulous speaker, but I highly recommend a home demo to try them in your space.

1 Like

Evoke50 need a lot of space to breath and not overload your room. Contour 30i would be a much better choice. Or even Contour Legacy, if you can wait until they get released and afford the stretch.

1 Like

There is a very recent write up on the Evoke 30 at The Tracking Angle. You might want to have a look.

1 Like

Speaking of something else… How did it go, did you change the phono preamp, JDP?

Not yet. It’s planned but unlikely before next year. I need to sell my SL/SCDR and save for the rest of the cost to replace. I just retired a couple months ago, so I’m no longer earning discretionary funds. There’s no real rush though. 2025 is fine.

1 Like

What phono are you thinking of?

Boulder 1108

1 Like

I guess your carts warrant that.

Yes, and it has two inputs for my two tonearms, where the Superline does not. That’s really the point of changing from SL/SCDR to Boulder. But the Boulder performance is on an obviously higher level too. My wife notices the improvement immediately.

1 Like

I will be interest to see how it performs with your 252dr. Most people here would probably go for 552dr and SL though some dealers recommend spending more on a phone and tonearm than your cart. I think you’re based in US but there’s an exdemo available from one of the uk dealers for £12k.

I really have no interest in a 552DR, and that won’t address the problem I’m trying to solve anyway.

Boulder sent my dealer a demo unit for me to try at home, and I had it in my system for about a month. Boulder even made up some custom loading cards at my request. Once I get the Boulder I will send both my tonearms back to Musical Surroundings (the U.S. Clearaudio distributor) to change the termination from RCA to balanced.

1 Like