Ebay bargin v demo

I think the 50 post rule is only to sell an item, buying or placing a wanted post you should be okay.

Thanks. Yes that fits with how I understood it.

Yes, you have to have been a member for at least 90 days, and to have posted at least 50 times before you can post an advert. Itā€™s a great idea and stops any old bod advertising lots of stuff. Itā€™s what makes it so much more trustworthy, but as ever you need to keep your wits about you.

Thanks HH. I can see the logic behind the rules.

Iā€™ve bought all my Naim equipment on eBay apart from my Supercap 2, which was from a dealer.

I look at the pictures carefully beforehand, factor in a service and try to negotiate a better price with the seller.

Iā€™ve never had any problems and have bought alot of Naim boxes. And have sold a few also on eBay.

I think I have got better deals on eBay with cheaper prices than I would have done from dealers.

I also bought half my Fraim on eBay.

For future purchases my first go to would be eBay. Would be prepared to buy a 552, 500, ND555 going forwards later down the line.

1 Like

Bought a great deal of stuff from eBay over the last decade including hifi and naim.
No problems except over graded Vinyl.

Some hifi dealers sell kit on there aswell.

Iā€™ve bought from eBay with some minor annoyance so Iā€™d suggest this:

• check pictures from all angles incl. accessories
  • ask for proof of purchase if not from dealer. I bought from a dealer eBay store as I wanted peace of mind
  • cross reference the serial no with Naim, so if it has been refurbished or serviced. Mine was a Naim refurb set and I got the full history and comfort that I was pretty much buying a new unit
  • make sure accessories are in good order, my remote was quite horribly scuffed up, sadly
  • pay thru PayPal as I think it allows for some amount of protection
  • make sure it comes in the original box for proper protection during shipping and for me personally, I just like keeping the box
  • watch a YouTube unboxing so you know what to expect and to ensure you have all accessories

Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Many thanks all for the excellent advice - all very helpful.
I have decided to stick to my plan and - i need new speakers first -
but will consider Naim gear in the future on ebay.
272 source - into 282 will i am sure be good!

Speakers
Turntable/phonostage
NDX
250DR
Hicap for 282

is my plan funds permitting to get to that ā€œendstateā€

Mmmm. Saw a couple of good priced Novaā€™s on eBay and some demo stock also on a well known HiFi retailers website. I managed to haggle retailer down on a Nova that they said was around 18 months oldā€¦.checked serial number off when it arrived and it was 3+ years old! After a brief discussion it went right back and replaced with a much newer Nova! I was also able to get the Naim warranty as its ex display/demo against a private eBay buy. Worth a thought.

always worth checking serial numbers and dates - my nait 5si was a little older than expected, even by the dealer, so got a further Ā£100 off and it came with full warranty

I hope they were suitably embarressed. Good for you for sending it back!

A few years ago I bought an expensive DAC off Le bon Coin (a French selling site with no charges). It was cheap but no protection. I first started a communication (what are you running it with? why are you selling?). He wanted payment in advance as he said he had been ripped off before. As he had an unusual surname I googled it and found his phone number. I rang the number and the guy who answered said it was his son who was selling. His son rang me back and after a chat he said he was happy to send it to me. I suggested sending my first payment of 50% at same time. After 4 days nothing so I rang him and he said that the parcel had got damaged but should arrive in a few days. I had not sent my payment at that point as I had an issue with bank authorising a new account. He suggested I took photos when it arrived. The parcel was not damaged and DAC worked fine so I sent the full payment.

A few anxious moments but I got a bargain.

Hmm thatā€™s unfortunate. This particular retailer, starts with the letter N? Ive been teaching a few Novas from eBay.

Nope! A well known one beginning with S

Ah okay, I know which one youā€™re talking about. Shame that the experience wasnā€™t good but glad you got a good deal in the end.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.