Ekos Alternatives for LP12

It’s just a matter of removing some material from the corner brace, very simple job with a Dremel.

1 Like

I have absolutely no intention to change my ARO, but I had a quick look at photos of the Supatrac arm, as I was intrigued by the comments here. I must say that it doesn’t look terribly attractive to me.

I know that that cannot affect how it will sound, but it puts me off it nonetheless.

I’m prepared to admit that I must be a very shallow person, but I like to have equipment that is aesthetically pleasing.

3 Likes

We all draw that line somewhere, I suspect. I wouldn’t have JBL L100 speakers even if they had no acoustic drawbacks, purely because they are bright orange.

4 Likes

I would have JBL L100 speakers even if they had acoustic drawbacks, purely because they are bright orange :wink:

I suspect you are correct though, aesthetics, even if it’s the brutality of black metal boxes, probably plays a part in most buying decisions.

For the OP [edit: hah, you are the OP!] - I had the pleasure of listening to a couple of TTs recently. The nicest looking arm by some way was the Origin Live Encounter (vs the lovely Technics and Rega based Technoarm). I also think it sounded spectacular, and might be worth a listen/long list.

The OL Encounter looks to cost about the same as the Supatrac, though the approach is very different. Have you ever heard it on an LP12?

1 Like

Nope. Just on the OL Aurora with a DV 10x5.

Its top and midrange was immaculate. I couldn’t work out how the bass compared. Either it had less overhang than the Technics, or the Technics found deeper/more bass. The mid and top end were really clean and clear though. If that helps!??

2 Likes

Indeed. I bought my 52/SuperCap from James and Henry earlier this year.
Helpful guys.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting that it does! What it will do is to provide a superior ‘foundation’ to allow all of your deck’s current fittings to perform at their best. You’re unlikely to realise just what your arm/cartridge is capable of without the Keel, so it would enable you to make some better-informed decisions about your later upgrades.
Linn’s suggested upgrading hierarchy is well known on this forum. Some of us however actually feel that the Keel gives the LP12 a more fundamental improvement than the Radikal (ooooh… controversial! :shushing_face:).
If you upgrade the cartridge/arm/top-plate AFTER the Keel, then they stand a chance of performing at their best from the get-go.

2 Likes

TomTom - and Cymbiosis - have, between them, provided all my recent upgrades via the pre-loved route - CDX2, 82, XPS2 - and Linn Lingo & Kore - oh and my Kudos X3’s…!!

1 Like

I wish I could comment on the Blackbird from personal experience (I have one) but I have not yet installed the arm. I have had an Aro and now have a Tiger Paw Javelin (as well as Ittok and a PU3 that I use on my LP12). I will report my findings at a later time.

Adam at HIFIAF is now using the Supatrac Blackbird as his primary arm. His review is there and I think there is also a follow up review on the site. Adam has experiance with the Ekos I believe as well as Aro and Javelin arms (all of which he has or does still own). Based on the Supatrac’s price and review I bought one as it was an apparent steal based on the competition. Also I must admit I am partial to a creation that is being hand built by its designer (shout out also to Audio Origami for same).
As far as looks? Well I close my eyes half the time when listening so would be a non issue for me if I did not also kinda dig how the thing looks anyway. Form Follows Function turns me on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

FWIW, I - and a few friends - did an extensive cartridge demo at Cymbiosis recently.

Personal view, of course, but the Kendo is miles better than the Krystal (which I use), as it should be at the price, and the Kendo is remarkably similar on overall perspective to the Ekstatik.

However, admittedly in an Aro, I found the Lyra Kleos SL, preferable. More detailed and musical - a beautiful cartridge.

2 Likes

If you are willing to look at the preloved market, there is the DNM Yota. I remember a demo with two identical LP12, one with the Ekos1, the other with the Yota. Both were fine, the Yota some dug more into the message, while keeping the tonal substance intact.

1 Like

I use a modded Well Tempered ‘Black’ Arm. This utilizes a liquid bearing and has the upgraded VDH arm cabling from the cartridge to the term box. There it goes to a Nordost Tyr phono cable. Only one break between arm cable and phono stage. ( unlike the Ekos SE-1 which actually has two breaks, one at the head shell, one at the DIN connector). This arm on the LP12 works incredibly well as it weighs very little, has azimuth adjustment and has a totally quiet bearing. It is VERY tricky to set up, but once done, tends not to drift. It was a very clear upgrade to an Ekos Mk2.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Linn Ittoks arms from 1981 till 2004 ( in that time I had 3 of them the first two developed bearing problems replaced by Linn ).
In 2004 I bought an Aro which was light and day ahead of the Ittok. I think one of the advantages that it’s lighter than the Ittok so therefore the back spring is nearly even with the other two. This is only my opinion, I find the Aro very fluid in it’s delivery over the whole spectrum. The late Derek Jenkins installed in 2004 with the Aromatic arm lift. In 2014 he installed the Tangerine Audio Stiletto he was unable to use the Aromatic so he fitted Cymbiosis’s Elevator arm lift.

Would I change the Aro for an Ekos not a chance happy with the Aro with a Kiseki Blue NS an excellent match.

Regards,

Martin

4 Likes

How did you find the change to a Stiletto?

1 Like

Thats interesting, I have sometimes wondered if a Well Tempered would be a good fit but not sure it could be mounted on a Keel

Hi Nick,

Much more defined in music presentation it was more open it felt I sitting with the group performing for me. To me it was like going from the Ittok to the Aro.

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

Mounting the Well Tempered in my case involved some minor modifications of the Majik sub chassis. I suspect that the arm would not work well on a Keel, as the Keel is very much designed for Linn arms…or the Aro.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. Next time out to Rearsby is likely to be for a new cart. Kendo vs Kleos vs TKR will inevitably be the shoot out.

2 Likes

Looks like that Krystal vs Kendo/TKR/Kleos showdown has been brought forward a few years by kind courtesy of my cleaners. Despite having been asked never to touch the HiFi stacks, I discovered this jauntily angled cantilever on my Krystal this morning.
I’ll take it up with them on Monday when I’ll find out whether or not they have insurance… Either way, the Krystal is a write-off. It will be replaced on Thursday afternoon in Rearsby.

5 Likes