Electric Cars .......the great come-back!

No need to be concerned David.

A brand new, environmentally-friendly power-supply system will soon be the envy of every street in London.

Worth clicking on the “full screen” arrows bottom right in the photo, just to get the full, immersive experience of this new infrastructure.

Unintentional I assure you…

There is a bit more to it than the charging point on a lamppost itself because the cables in the ground to the lamppost need to be able to supply the power demanded by the charging car and most street light systems have relatively low power supplies, for example a cable that loops from post to post. And there aren’t enough lampposts for one each for all the cars parked in a street…

Yes. Lots of challenges to overcome but hopefully the government will put measures in place to ensure that they are. It’s important that this problem is solved.

I think they are called Electric Classic Cars. Proprietor is a chap called Richard Morgan I think. They are producing quite a few - done Ferrari 308, lots of Fiat 500 and VW Beetles, 70s/80s Range Rover, 70s BMW, Porsche 911. Quite a big business - not cheap - fiat 500 from around £25k, I was quoted around £40k for a classic Range Rover

There is also a London company doing lower cost options

1 Like

yep that’s them

1 Like

Yikes ! £40k for an electric battery …
… Naim’s power supplies now seem to be as cheap as chips !

Included the car - not just a battery… but I am reasonably confident you knew that

Doh! I thought you were only quoting the battery conversion.

I’m afraid I don’t agree with your characterisation of fully electric cars. My car is fully electric, and use it on long journey (typically up to 200 miles) with no issues. A stop halfway for a rapid charge, whilst having a coffee, walking the dog, eating a sandwich and visiting the washroom. Rapid charge points, especially as they become increasingly common, will negate the need for home charging points.

I’m glad that works for you. But it wouldn’t do for me at all.

Best
David

I’m so glad that you defined “a long journey”. And included mention of your halfway stop.

I frequently drive Vernon to Vancouver or Vernon to Canmore. Each journey is c.450/550km.

I sometimes do it non-stop but at other times stop at Hope for about 15 mins to refuel and stretch the legs, or if going the other way, at Rogers Pass or Golden.

Here in the UK, Newbury to Newcastle would also qualify as a long journey, or if we were going to Scotland, say Avimore, we would take a break near Carlisle.

None of the current offerings of e-cars would suit our travelling needs, either for journey length or reliability of finding a convenient re-charging station. I will however mention, that when we stopped at Golden a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to see an “array” of about 9 or 10 re-charging points laid out in a similar manor to fuel pumps at one of the gas stations on the west bound side of the highway. But there was only one car using the facility.

Ordered my first fully electric car today, a new Audi E-Tron 55 Quattro Launch Edition. Looks like a real world 200 mile range (daily commute is only a 20 mile roundtrip). Ready for FULL BLOWN range anxiety when going further afield.

I bet it’s got more style, range and performance compared to the model I used to illustrate my opening post in the thread !!!

1 Like

I’m thinking of going electric, probably a Hyundai Kona as it looks like it will fit our driving habits and is affordable in the UK. What is the advice of owners of electric cars here is it best to buy outright, or take a lease deal where effectively you are renting the car. I guess residuals are a bit of an unknown quantity?

The Kona is actually a very nice car. Typically for Hyundai, it is well screwed together and it will last and give you no problems. I’ve had a number of Hyundai ICE cars in the past and they are very good.

My dilemma is to buy out right with uncertain residuals or to effectively rent. The test drive of the kona was a wow, the last Hyundai I had was a coupé F2 in the '90s it lasted well.

Well, Peter, I’ve got a Nissan Leaf that I obtained on a PCP contract. I bought the car outright at the end of the contract. As the car is reliable I intend to keep it as it is cheap to run. I hope it will last me for a good few years yet.

The Kona has a seven year warranty I think (longer on battery pack?) so I would if getting one be content to buy outright. The lease angle works best for relatively short term use (3 years) and gives cash flow and tax (vat saving) if through a vat-registered business. If keeping seven years then residuals are less a concern than shorter term

1 Like

I should add that I had an i3 for three years - by the time the three year contract was up battery on new ones double size of “mine”. That level of progress is unlikely on a Kona over three years or even seven

1 Like