Electrical Storm - Switch Off?

I monitor storm movements through this website: https://www.lightningmaps.org/

Last night, as the storm hit as I was going to bed, I unplugged everything. Just in case. I had not thought to keep the router and switch on as the broadband also went down for a couple of hours.

My house has a couple of aerials that might attract a strike, but there other taller buildings around me so I reckon I’m safe. However, you never know.

2 Likes

I remember last year @Simon-in-Suffolk posting of a strike on I think a BT broadband cabinet a mile or so away…he still got damage to router and bits and bobs.

Hi Gazza, it wasn’t a cabinet, but it was a house in the village quarter of a mile away. It’s all overhead wiring here for both, copper, fibre and electricity.
The pulse came down the twisted pair copper and took the router out, the connected switch (Cisco 2960) and a Mac Ethernet interface.
Needless to say the power tripped as well, but no other damage. UPS tripped in for sensitive devices.

2 Likes

Switching to Muso and Spotify for several days here, not taking any chances.

Thanks for the link to that site. I have found today’s electric activity fascinating, a good way to waste a few hours.

Belgium, Holland and Basingstoke have been taking an absolute pounding !

1 Like

So annoying, my systems been disconnected for the past 2 days now with storms forecast and haven’t had anything yet! :expressionless:

If your house gets hit by lightning your stereo is the least of your worries, a house about 200 meters from me was struck a few years ago and it was practically destroyed.
All of the radiators were blown off of the walls and a pair of shoes were “fused/melted” to the front door!

Nick

Hopefully nobody was wearing them at the time!

1 Like

There was a house a few miles away totally destroyed a few years ago, they must have had some insurance problems as it has only just been rebuilt. To be safe my system is turned off…we had thunder and lightning yesterday…at one point our windows were shaking due to the shock waves.

‘mornin’ Gazza, “a few years” is standard for the insurance industry, I’ve had a claim lodged since 2007 for a garage foundation problem. Despite two interventions & compensation awards by the FOS (Ombudsman) its still ongoing, albeit maybe (fingers toes & other bits crossed) I might now be on the last lap.

That is outrageous Mike, sorry to hear that, a bit of an eye opener.

Even more of an eye opener when you know the company concerned have been in the insurance business since 1686.
But - considering the thread subject - it has to be said when my house was zapped by lightning they were exemplary.
Loss adjusters (in my case) are the problem, however they are appointed & acting on behalf of the insurer.

1 Like

Are you discriminating the UQ2?
Or giving special treatment?!
:wink:

About 25 years ago my parents’ bungalow which had an overhead electricity supply was very badly damaged by fire when lightning struck the electricity supply line and set fire to the thatched roof over the main part of the house. It burned for hours despite the fire brigade’s best efforts to put the fire out.

It took about three years to get everything sorted out. And they never really recovered from this disaster financially, even though they lived in a part of the house that was undamaged throughout the whole rebuild, saving the insurance company a whole load for temporary accommodation.

Best

David

2 Likes

Thankfully no but it was the weirdest thing😳

It means I can still have music in my office…

1 Like

UnitiPanzer. The last to be switched off. :joy:

I have a sacrificial QB2 sitting next to the router, and wired to it. My other Naim gear is attached to the network via optical cables instead of Ethernet as our phone line keeps getting hit by lightning which can find it’s way into the network, so this gives it some isolation.

A couple of days ago we were hit again, and I hadn’t had time to unplug everything. Just as I was approaching the phone line to disconnect it there was a loud crack followed by a burning smell. Turns out that the QB was fine. The microfilter/splitter thing, not so fine:

4 Likes

Well a brief pause between storms…system back on, warmed up for a few hours, but the top end is still harsh…and i will have to turn off again…bother.

Mine has been unplugged for around 4 days and its driving me crackers…!!!

2 Likes