Electrical Storm - Switch Off?

Turned mine on again this afternoon, really missed it since wednesday! Sounded back to normal after a couple of hours. Looks like it will be off again sunday night for a day or 2.

Mine is back off again…the lawn is looking better👍

Certainly saved getting the hose out for a day or 3!!

1 Like

I never have turned stuff off. That was what my parents did, in the days before RCD and so on…

However, have been taking to my electrician about a dedicated mains supply for the Naim kit - but he’s been slow with a quote. Emailed him today as a gentle nudge - and he replied quickly; he’s been very busy with the lightening storms. Sent me this photo:

The hit took out the whole house electrics…

Think I’ll turn it off from now on…

No lightning here at all so far, though it’s forecast tomorrow and Monday. I rarely turn it off. What’s the worst that can happen? The Naim gets fried. That’s what house insurance is for. I might get a 272.2.

1 Like

RCDs are not going to give you protection against a lightning strike. Nothing will make your whole house completely immune, but realistically, to protect your electrical gear you need to unplug appliances, phone line and TV/satellite cables.

1 Like

I use for my non audio stuff ZeroSurge products. Not sure if they are available in the U.K. SurgeX is another Surge suppressor that uses similar Series Mode protection circuitry. My Hifi gets shut down and power cords pulled.

RCD is not there to stop lightning spikes and won’t.

The risk of high voltage spikes from lighting sufficient to damage sensitive equipment is significantly greater for people in locations with overhead cables (mains electricity or telephone (broadband) cables), but can still happen with underground cables, and of course they are a conduit if part of your own property receives a direct strike.

:roll_eyes:

is there a sarcasm emoji?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.